Skip to main content

Life Lately - mid-August edition

I don't just blog -- I love reading and am inspired by them :)  Shay, over at Mix and Match Mama, posed a "Life Lately" post so I thought I would jump in and do so also.
I have looked back the last two months and just can't find that "one" picture that kind of captures it "all".  I know where we were when this picture was taken but don't remember the occasion?  I think it may have been our week home alone in June. . .it's rare to dress up and go out so glad I have a Picture of the Day to remember it :)

We have had a busy summer. . .but yet sort of boring and lonely with three of the kids gone for most of it.  And now school has started (and we take our oldest to college on Thursday) and my emotions are all over the place.  This is the first time in many, many years that I have not begun school with my kiddos.

I'm sad yet know leaving the classroom behind is best for now.  I'm a mess whenever I think about Thursday. . .watching almost-nineteen years walk out of the door is really, really hard for this full-time mama.  Man, I thought kindergarten was hard -- wow!






So. . .in anticipation of leaving for college and having been gone all summer, this guy and I headed up to Ohio to see all of his grandparents. . .and, as they always do, they fed him well!
Dinner out with Grandma Wolf

Lunch out with the Bells
Grandpa Foster had just been down to visit. . .and he caught a soccer game while here (and a goal by Marie!)
The boys and I headed down to Florida for a few days to see the new digs of our OH-to-FL-to-OH-to-HI-to retire to FL friends. . .
This is the view from the end of their dock. . .yes, it is called "living the dream" :)

They were having the floors done in the house and a main area needed to be grouted and not walked on for a day so Amy treated us to a day/night in Panama City Beach.  We are missing two of her kids and two of mine. . .we'll have to do it again!

Look how beautifully these floors turned out. . .
That is TILE.  Everywhere.  I love it -- great choice!

While we were gone, Tom and Marie stained our deck. . .
. . .it is gorgeous!

I needed a Picture of the Day and she'll pose for our photographer neighbor so he took this and sent it to me.  I love it -- perfectly captures Margaret.

I snapped this picture because it indicates everyone is home. . .my super-happy place -- a full house.
When in FL, these two watched the crab traps off the dock and caught these two. . .here they are ready to eat.  They were really good!
I conned him into one beach picture with me. . .we took an early morning walk between storms. . .
Because it was just me and Frederick most of the summer we had lots of time together. . .which I cherish.  He *really* wanted to go shopping one day -- he worked hard all summer on his lawn business and had money to spend! -- so we headed to the outlets in Sevierville.  He treated himself to a Fossil watch and had his name engraved on the back also.  He talked me into treating myself to a new bag :)
Life lately also includes lots of decisions and money being spent. . .college tuition, room & board, books, and now a mission trip Thomas hopes to take after Christmas this year.

I've done a few projects. . .

I re-did our bedroom -- trim and paint as well as new bedding -- as my anniversary present for Tom.  This was a fun project and took ALL WEEK when he was gone at Canoe Camp with the older two.











And last week I purged and re-organized my sister's craft room and created a wrapping area for her also while she was out of town with her family (hmmmm. . .seeing a pattern. . .)

There are more things we can do in here but for now it is organized and use-able.
The most fun in this project was spending 4-5 hours at IKEA (alone!) just shopping, dreaming, snapping pictures of ideas. . .the up-ended piece in the top picture will be hung above the cubbies on the left. . .I want to find an area in my house for this super-efficient storage center!














Speaking of the house, we have been here almost two years now and I still am so thankful for it.  The flowers I got for Mother's Day, the seeds I received with a lovely note from some school parents that Tom sprinkled out there, the tropical pots I found in July at Costco, and the plants Frederick put in for me at the mailbox all make this house a home that is a joy to drive up to.









I've gotten to read many books this summer but these two were runaway favorites:



























And, as for me, I'm still searching.  I'm not sure where I fit right now. . .my time at home these last six months have been wonderful.  What an opportunity to step back, re-evaluate, focus on mommying, and just being.  Yes, I am disappointed that some of the teaching jobs I applied for (and I interviewed for a few) did not work out but I'm not surprised.  I think I was called out of the classroom for a reason, I was hoping it was a season but maybe not, and I still can't "see" my next step.  But I know it's there so I continue to try to (patiently) wait and pray and look and seek opportunities.  Here's to our girls' school soccer, Frederick continuing in tennis, new adventures for Thomas as he heads out to become a "Moc", a new volunteer opportunity for Tom & I in Awana's at our church, and maybe I'll possibly be able to hang on to Bible Study and tennis as life progresses. . .that's a little of Life Lately around here.

Love,
Jenni




















Comments