Skip to main content

Friday Favorites - November 10, 2023

 

I took this photo as we were driving out of town Tuesday evening to pick up my new vehicle (!!!).  This is such a pretty time of year - more so this year because temperatures were in the high 70's most of the week - yay!  A front was supposed to come through last night so it will be colder, cloudy and rainy just in time for the weekend, of course.  No worries. . .lots of favorites and joy to celebrate this second Friday in November :)
I'm linking up with Erika and Andrea, as I do every week.  If you have some time, click on their names, head to their blogs, and then find other bloggers from the party who are sharing their favorites this week.

~1~

This is easy - my new vehicle!!  We have been looking since July. . .prices are crazy and inventories low.  The last several times we have purchased something we have bought used but after weighing all the options and many, many trips to various dealerships, we decided on a new hybrid.  Not only is it a favorite because, well, it's something I'll have for many, many years but because I am having so much fun trying to NOT use gas!!!  Let me show you this:
We have officially put 100 miles on it (it had 16 miles when we got the title) and look at that gas gauge -- it has barely moved!!  I previously drove a 6-cylinder and thought I would miss the "power" in this, but (1) it has a "sport" mode that gives it a little extra kick and (2) I am just loving how it tells me how much energy I am using and that is so.much.fun.  Maybe the fun will wear off, but for now I am loving it.
We were fortunate that we were not in a rush to purchase, could take our time and look around, and that when this particular vehicle hit the lot of a dealership 30 minutes or so of here, we were able to jump on it.  Of course the first thing Tom did when we got home was get under the hood ;)

~2~

Another favorite thing to do and a favorite I'm looking forward to - a family party this weekend!  We celebrated Laura on her birthday, Robert turns 25 next week. . .so we are combining.  Plus adding Sibling Emmie to the mix since her day is coming up soon too.  I've got a lot to do in the next 30 hours, and looking forward to it all.
Did you see Shay's Ways post on entertaining yesterday?  Not only does she give great tips, but there are even more good ones in the comments.  If you get stressed about having people over or are apprehensive about it but wish you could do it, go read her post for confidence that you CAN do it!!  I gave up on "perfection" long ago and people keep coming so it really must be about the opportunity to be together :)

~3~

The last two weeks The Big Boo Cast has put out episodes on holiday gifts with a Google Doc with all the links to the items they mention.  They have given me so many good ideas!!!  I even purchased one last night (can't say right now) and there are others that I have flagged as potential items.  If you have the time to listen, I encourage you do to so, but if not, just get their Google Doc from the show notes and see if there is anything there that might be a good idea for someone in your life.  The items are all different price points, which makes it nice.

~4~

My tennis buddy invited me to spend the afternoon with her at the Knoxville Challenger  Wednesday afternoon.  It was so much fun!!  Last year I volunteered as a ball person but this year my schedule was too uncertain to commit any time.  I'm glad it worked out (she invited me Tuesday night) that I could arrange time Wednesday to go though!
Can you tell in this picture that the player serving is using a two-handled racquet??  It was neat to see how he used it.  This match went to a 3rd set tie-break and he and his partner ended up losing 8-10. . .they all played so incredibly well!!
Two handled racquet

~5~

I have been doing some Amazon shopping lately - since I didn't do a post this month, I will share a few favorites that have come in the mail here:
Preppy Empty Nester suggested these and I bought them a month or more ago.  I liked them so much I bought two more. . .worth the money and work beautifully.
I can't believe I have lived this long without this.  Seriously.  I was getting out my immersion blender every morning that I made a mocha or hot chocolate to froth my milk. . .why?!?  
Melanie Shankle suggested this on her podcast several weeks ago.  Since I did need to replace my 10" skillet, I ordered it.  Seriously, if I had not already chosen my Foster Family Favorite gift this year, this is what I would be giving.  I will replace all of my other frying pans with this brand when I need new ones.  I highly recommend.

I received this sweater on the 5th, wore it on the 6th and had two compliments on it before noon!  I'm pretty sure Alli suggested it - she does big Friday posts every week (and always links up with Friday Favorites).  Check her out if you are looking for "everyday" items and every once in awhile she'll throw in something kinda "fancy".

~6~

And speaking of Simply Small Town, Alli posted the BEST reflection this week.  It is called Pumpkin Spice Frappe, but it's not a recipe or recommendation for where to buy it.  "The other day I walked into from recess duty & there is that football player standing in my office with a pumpkin spice frappe just for me." Go read it and tell me what you think!!  Definitely a FAVORITE post this week.

~7~

I know, I know, UNPOPULAR. . .but, Thanksgiving really and truly is my favorite holiday.  I love the food, the large family gathering, the tradition, just everything.  After tomorrow I *might* consider getting some twinkly lights out but really just trying to enjoy the season we're in, both the season Mother Nature is giving us, and the season of life God is giving us.  
I'm not preaching at you, I promise!  And if you invite me over to show me all your Christmas decor I will love it. . .just noting that this must be a favorite meme of mine b/c Facebook memories showed me this week that I have repeatedly shared this :)

That's it for now.  Look at me. . .getting a Friday Favorites out before 8 a.m.!!  Hope it is a beautiful weekend for my blogland friends - whether it is a quiet Saturday watching football, carting kids to-and-fro (boy do I miss those days!!), changing out holiday decorations, or working if that is your schedule.  
Have a good one!



Comments

  1. I also love the Big Boo podcast gift list. It is so convenient to have it in a google doc too. Thanks for the Amazon recommendations. We had a hybrid rental car on a vacation and loved it. It had lots of pep and we spent practically nothing on gas. I don't understand why the govt/car makers aren't promoting these instead of fully elec vehicles. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, if I would have known all this great stuff about hybrids before we would not have struggled with the decision! They are more expensive, but not by much and I would think the savings in gas would be a HUGE incentive. Now, we did buy Toyota, who has been in this game a very long time, so that helps too.
    I love Sophie and Melanie’s recommendations - I bought several from their list last year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new car! That is really cool and I would be interested in that, too. I like your list for the party and I handle it the same way. I love your new sweater and your new gadgets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment