Skip to main content

Life Lately - September 2023

Fall tennis schedules came out - I'm on four teams (7.5 18+ and 40+ Combo and 8.5 18+ and 40+ Combo).  The above was the last schedule to come in - this team specifically asked for no Wednesdays or Saturdays -- all of these dates fall on those two days of the week, with many interfering with other scheduled matches.  Sigh.  I'm on another team who had to forfeit a court this last Sunday b/c the 7.5 and 8.5 matches overlapped (if you are a 4.0 you can play on both teams).  
Our town is small enough that "everyone knows everyone" in the tennis world.  We keep tennis going about year-round here -- the year starts with Tri-level (indoors), then the traditional play, then mixed, combo, and, at the end of October, Early Start will happen -- you can put together a team in the late fall and the one who wins gets to go to State the next summer with the regular season (spring) players.  It's all a lot, a lot of fun, competitive, and I would miss it if I didn't have it.  Plus, there is another non-USTA league you can join between all this, and I just finished a season of mixed with my pal Dave.
This was before our first match when we were feeling good about it all. . .this just wasn't "our season".  We've been playing together for several years now and wouldn't otherwise if it wasn't for this fun Knoxville league USNAT.  They allow all ages and levels to play together, matching you up to other teams the best that they can.  
Glad to have both tennis and now pickleball in my life :)
A couple of weeks ago I was able to attend a celebration for the firm I work for with some of the leadership.  I had led the effort to get us enrolled and through the steps to qualify as a Top Workplace.  
They had also won this honor the year before (I believe 30 small businesses are chosen?) but this year we came in third place - and top accounting firm, so that was neat.  Our Managing Partner, holding the award, also won the leadership award for small businesses this year.  It is nice to be recognized in your community in such a way!
We celebrated these guys this weekend - 51 and 20.  I didn't get any good pictures (I know!?!) - there were 14 of us in all.
I attempted a picture of the food, rice bowls, with the rice and roasted broccoli on the back counter.  No, roasted broccoli isn't normally on the list for this meal, but it's everyone's favorite :)
 We were NOT lacking in desserts thanks to Miss Barbara and Noah. . .I had a little bit of each - ha!!
Even though this picture doesn't have anything to do with me, I'm happy to see the boys with Noah and their cousin AVJ having fun together on a Saturday night in Nashville.  Having grown kiddos who choose to spend time together is such a gift!!  The following conversation with my sister:
Is it good or bad that we capture all these "mundane" memories and can save all the words??  I'm not sure.  I love the "diary" of Facebook and, of course, this blog. . .and hope that it captures the little things in life because I really do believe they are what makes a life well-lived.  But, then again, there are some things better forgotten, better left in the past - mistakes that are just that, mistakes, that you don't want to have to face over and over again because the point is to grow and learn and change and not stay who you are today forever.  

Anyway. . .here are some shows Tom and I have enjoyed these past few weeks:
Yes, even though we are Volunteers, we are glad we spent the time to watch Swamp Kings.  It really gives you an idea of hard it is for everyone to be on this stage, the pressure, and, truthfully, the immaturity of these years for these young guys.  Going back to my previous reflection - is it really a good thing to have every.single.thing documented???
We actually watched this series first - I loved it!!!  It was neat to see these guys with their families, their kids, their teammates and coaches. . .if you are someone like me and very interested in people then you will like this, football fan or not.
Of course there is nothing like the real thing:
Stephen was at the game on Saturday and I asked for a picture to see what 102,000 fans looks like in Neyland Stadium this year :)
Laura encouraged us to watch The Last Dance and it was good.  I'm not a huge basketball fan but it was interesting getting to know MJ and his teammates and club better through this documentary.  I'm glad we spent the time.
Any Holmes show, however, is more our speed - ha!  Tom loves these home renovation shows and just really likes Mike Holmes.  I like the stories and the relief they bring into people's lives.  And how neat to work with your family!
I'm the only one in my family who has watched Air. . .and I can't wait to watch it again with Laura - she is an 80's girl too ;). This was so well-done -- if you lived through the 80's this will take you right back.  The detail is incredible and there are some great actors featured also :)
Daisy Jones and the Six took Laura and I most of the summer to watch -- I read the book years ago and always recommend it, especially if you are a 70's person or love music.  You honestly think, as you read the book or watch the movie, that you are watching something that really happened (yes, I know many have said this story is "based on" but this is the only "research" I have done).  It was so very, very well-done.

And, if we're keeping it "real", there is this too.  What love looks like to me.  I'm sitting on the steps in the garage, in my pj's at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning, never having to worry about taking my car in for an oil change.  Never.  He found out I posted this on Facebook as a Picture of the Day (I don't really do those much anymore, but here is a Picture of the Day post from September 2018) and rolled his eyes.  I told him that many were in agreement with me - I had more comments about this small act of service then about things that I would consider "bigger".  See, even my FB friends appreciate my attention to "the little things" that make life great :)

And that's a bit of Life Lately.  Post what is going on in your life in the comments - I'd love to know.











Comments

  1. I am probably the last person on earth who hasn't watched Air...need to get to that! I loved Daisy Jones, probably even more than the book. I totally agree about seeing your grown kids hang out together and also about feeling that not everything needs to be documented. I have started trying to take ONE picture when we do something as a family and then put my phone away. I think everyone in the family appreciates it! I enjoyed hearing about your life lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Tanya. I enjoy your blog so much - thanks for coming over to visit. I'll never be "one picture and done" I don't think. . .but don't beat myself up so much anymore if I forget to capture something. Air is so good - I rarely watch things more than once but am looking forward to seeing this one again :)

      Delete

Post a Comment