Skip to main content

Family Lake Trip 2023

First it was this crew (and more . .Tom, Laura's friend, Robert's 3 friends, Erin's friend). . .and then it was
this crew plus Ellie was still there with Robert and Kathy was on the trip with us but not out with us for this meal.  Without permission I'll post an Ellie and Robert pic:Ellie told me she loved this one (I do too) so hopefully asking for forgiveness instead of permission will work this time???

We had gone out the last night for a sunset cruise and I caught a picture of Kathy then :)

It was a bit chilly. . .when the boat was moving we were all wrapped up.  So strange to have cool weather in August - fall is in the air kind of early this year!
We began our trip last Friday afternoon with a full truck out of Knoxville to Dale Hollow Lake!
My sister and niece were the first two to arrive. . .then Laura and her friend and Erin and her friend showed up.
We called an audible and, instead of eating the food I had prepared for dinner that night, we went to Sulpher Creek  to eat.  They had some live music and we enjoyed sharing some appetizers, meals, and drinks.
I believe this was my first night ride in our new boat.  This captain got us back to our dock safely :). It was a beautiful night for a ride on the lake:
Because of the location of our Air BnB this time we were pulling in and out of a new-to-us marina on the lake.

Saturday morning dawned bright - we were out on the lake to get as much time in as we could before predicted storms rolled in:
We were close enough (maybe 1 mile?) to the dock that we could walk down - Laura, Jodi, and I only did it once but Jodi ran it the next day - the hill coming back up was a killer.

Those who wanted to ski had the chance. . .a little swimming, and then the clouds sent us to shore.



 

I don't think I got in the water this trip at all. . .that is normal - I love the boat and being on the water. . .being in the water, not so much.
I don't have many pictures from the afternoon because I went on shore with everyone else and left my phone on the boat.  It turned into a really nice afternoon :). Robert arrived after the rain and picked up a pontoon boat Jodi had rented because there were so many of us.

I didn't get any pictures of mealtimes -- they were crazy and the house we rented wasn't set up for a crowd as large as us to eat together.  It had plenty of space for gathering, but the kitchen/dining/stairs were all right there but, for the most part, we were able to get enough chairs around the table and/or send some people outside to eat.  I had food for between 10-14 people each meal - I love to feed a crowd!!!
Sunday we got back out on the boat and found we were over-capacity (13 of us - Abby stayed back). . .I tried renting a pontoon from our dock but they said they didn't release them until 9 a.m. so we took off without one.  Yes, we all (barely) fit!!!
Tom somehow ditched this photo and Abby was back at the cabin - see?!? We made it work :)
Robert took the crew out tubing and Tom and I stayed on the island and had some downtime, went on a walk, just enjoyed the quietness of early morning at the lake.
When everyone got back some hung on the island, some on the boat, some in the water. . .it was a really nice way to start the day.  About 1 p.m. we were getting hungry. . .this time we ferried people in two trips so as not to get stopped for being over-capacity. . .those leaving that afternoon went on the first trip back and then the rest of us came next.
Fred, Nancy, and Kathy had already arrived by the time we got back so we all ate lunch together, the VJ's packed up,
we got a sisters picture and a cousins picture
here they are. . .living in Nashville, senior at UTK, sophomore at Liberty, new UTK grad "figuring out what is next", Chattanooga real estate agent, and another UTK senior.  Boy I love these kiddos so much!!
And then, repeat. . .an afternoon on the lake with Nana, Grandpa, Aunt Kathy, two kids (two went home to work on Monday) and four friends. We headed over to Sunset Marina to check out the damage from the fire last week.  
It was devastating to see, but the resilience of the community is astounding.  All the debris was already cleaned up and, with the help from other docks, they already had a temporary office set up on the other side of the building (the fire completely took out their gas docks, office, and ship store).  
While we were over that way we went to see if we could find the goats again - we found them both!  I'm not sure if Jesse got close enough to touch the male, but the female let Robert pet her quite a bit.
They got bored of us because we didn't have any food for them so they went back under their tree to get some shade from the hot sun.
It looks like quite a few of us were "getting shade from the sun too" - ha!  It was a hot day - just the way I like it!!
That evening after dinner Stephen and I left and so did Erin's friend -- we all had to work Monday. Laura, Stephen, and I drove back the next night in time for burgers and chicken on the grill. . .Robert and two of his friends were still there - they had rain in the morning but a nice afternoon out after that.
Tuesday was another early morning on the lake - Robert, Erin, and Tom all skied, the kids (except Ellie) all tubed, then we came back and picked up Nana & Grandpa for a boat ride over to Mike's Landing for lunch. . .went back to drop those off that had to leave again for work on Wednesday. . .and later went out for another sunset boat ride.
I'm sure there is a way I could edit this picture to show everyone's face better but. . .oh well.  The four bells and the oldest grandchild.  I love this family God gave me so very much.

TWO night rides in one trip - I hit the jackpot!!!  Such beauty out there on DHL.  Fred said the evening reminded him of going out on night boat rides with their best friends who they vacationed with for decades.  I'm glad they have those happy memories :)
Wednesday morning everyone had to leave. . .but Tom took me out for one more day on the water.  He's the BEST.
This was my Facebook "Good Morning" post - what a gorgeous day to be on the lake.
We drove down (up?) to the dam - the last time we were there was the first time we visited DHL in 1998.  It is impressive.
I found the above map online. Usually we stay more on the central southeast part of the lake but this trip we explored the southwest part. 
On Wednesday I bet we only passed 4-6 boats the entire day. . .we stopped at Mitchell Creek for lunch - I don't know if we've ever been there or not.  It's a lot quieter than our other regular stops. . .for sure because it was a Wednesday when school was back in but in general it was just smaller.  It was a nice lunch out on the deck (no pictures - I was off my game!)
By 2 p.m. she was all parked and ready to dry out. . .
We made our traditional stop at DQ in Livingston on our way out of town. . .it was truly a "Top Ten" day for me in 2023 :)

Here's the thing. . .it started out as a hard day. . .the end of an era (at least for awhile). . .the kids are all busy, finishing school, building careers. . .we just can't do these long vacations with them anymore.  I'm thankful for all the time we DID spend together but the season is changing. . .and I'm struggling.  You would think, one year into Empty Nest that I would have this, but I don't.  Jenn wrote the most beautiful blog post last Friday and I've cried through it three times now (and I'm thankful my daughter and husband had the patience to listen to me try to read it to them - she says it all so well).  Anyway, I'm thankful that I can't relate to her pain in losing her mother, but the transition she is about to make resounds with me.  I, too, lived my greatest dream as a mom.  And now that role has changed, and is meant to change, but it's hard. . .happy-hard, if that makes sense.  So, a day on the lake to process it all with the man I got to do it all with was just what my soul needed on Wednesday :)

There you have it. . .another trip, another record of what means most to me in the world.  I'm thankful for everyone I share this life with and don't take a single day for granted.

Here's to changing seasons (in life and on the calendar) and walking through it knowing that even when we don't know what is next, Jesus does.  My hope, my strength, my life, and my gratitude is all in Him.

Love,
Jenni

P.S.  Since it is Friday, I am going to link up with 
with Erika and Andrea.  Head on over to their blogs to see what is going on in their lives as well as other bloggers that are linking up :)



Comments

  1. Aww, that last part of the post...I know exactly how you feel. We had one week this summer when we were all home without major obligations, and I just soaked it up. And I just booked a beach vacation for us over the Christmas break because I feel like it may be the last time the kids will have lots of time off in December. (My daughter will graduate from college in May.) It is so bittersweet for that era to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had such an amazing time with your family! Being on the lake sounds like a perfect summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment