Skip to main content

Friday Favorites - Thanksgiving 2022, etc.

 

Really, I could just post this picture and that would be it, right?  Family and friends that are family.  And, because I am blessed beyond measure here on this earth, this isn't even everyone in my world.  What a beautiful, full, gorgeous day Thanksgiving 2022 was for us.

I didn't start the day too early. . .and this is the only picture I have of my morning in the kitchen.  Prepping for Thanksgiving has become a tradition and routine for me at this point.  Us East Tennessee people are responsible for appetizers and desserts. . .I get as much done ahead of time as possible, and either (1) run out of steam the day before or (2) there are some things, like the pigs in a blanket, that need to be prepared right before we leave for Middle Tennessee.




Somehow, we even had a minute to get the dog out to the park also.  She is the only family member that doesn't come with us and it's the only time of the year she has a dog sitter.  
Believe me when I say, she really would rather stay at home in her own environment.

These kiddos had headed to Cookeville the evening  before to run in their annual Turkey Trot :)  I'm so glad that they travel together and do things like this together.  Here was the whole gang -- great friends in their lives.  I pray friendships like these continue to bloom and grow through the years for all of them.
Turkey Trot 2022
We all joined up in middle TN, got the appetizers out and arranged, and settled in for a day of catching up, a little television, pool, and FOOD.
Debbie also set up a drink station and Barbara brought a fun cocktail for us to try:
My sister sent this photo my way later in the day. . .their oldest surprised them, driving from Nashville to Cincinnati to spend the day with them, and the other is in from VA for the week (where she attends school) -- both of us had all of our "people" around us :)
And, because my family understands how important photos are to me, my sister-in-law showed me the fun my little brother was having on Thanksgiving day down in Florida -- ha!  I really don't remember the last time we were all together in one place but technology really keeps us connected.  Thankful and a Favorite.
I could really just stop here, right?  BEST Friday Favorites of the year pretty much :)
But, it's fun to tell the story of great days, so here is a little more. . .
No one likes it when Debbie and I say "time for pictures" but secretly I think they like it?  Once upon a time it was like herding cats, now it's just accepted and expected :)
Our hosts:
Earl Bell Family
There are two families, the Earl Bell Family and 
Fred Bell Family
the Fred Bell Family.  Unfortunately, Uncle Earl is no longer with us but these are branches of each of those families.
Cousins 2022
And, because our kiddos were being especially cooperative this year, here are the cousins.  There are more on the Earl Bell side, but they live in NY and TX and don't make it to middle TN as often.  Five of these "kids" go to school together which is great!
And the family that we call "ours". . .the one I hope sprouts branches one day too.




We had an extra join us -- a friend of Laura's whose family wasn't celebrating this year.  As it turns out, she goes to school with the kids so they all casually know one another. 





And then there is this guy.  Without him, none of this would exist for me.  My kids are so, so lucky to have been born into this family.  He has had a rough year health-wise, as anyone who lives with a chronic condition can relate, but even without answers we can continue to soldier on together.  He is my forever-favorite.



THANKSGIVING HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY.  FAVORITE.  And in this last decade+, Debbie and Patrick have made it even better with the traditions they have put in place. . .including the Three Turkeys :)

Stephen and Patrick taking one out to the fryer. . .
Robert and Barbara carving the fried turkey while Tom and Patrick work on the oven baked and smoked turkeys:
Tradition, y'all
Two of the three (roasted and smoked) on the table along with all the other stuff.
And the picture I sneaked of the 24-yr-old at the kids' table :)
Look at all of Debbie's beautifully decorated tables:
And then, if that wasn't enough to put us in a food coma, there were desserts also:

I didn't even break into the pies this year!!  Those all come from East TN - apple from Nancy, pumpkin from Barbara, and peanutbutter pie for the kids from me. One of the items to see on my plate is Patrick's traditional Carrot Cake -- the best anyone will every have!  Luckily Debbie and Patrick always host "the day after" too so we can sample everything we didn't get to on Thursday ;)
Tom's cousin, hostess extraordinaire, who I just love so very much.
Dinner put everyone into a movie-watching mood:
while the guys who don't want to have their pictures taken or actions recorded, played pool.
Let's not forget the dishwashers:
I know this only shows Tommy, but Fred is hiding and Nancy and Patrick had already done the bulk of it all.  It's a lot.  This is one of our failures as parents -- the kids don't know how much work goes into this holiday because, for some reason, we have never asked them to pick up these duties.  Oh well, one day. . .

Thanksgiving wasn't the only favorite this week. . .Tom got my flag hung:

I started a new puzzle that is going to be GREAT:
My Thanksgiving list:  
 (See?  I just revise the one from last year!)
And organizing my mom's pantry before I left Ohio last Sunday :)

Happy Friday Friends!  Are you ready for the busiest time of the year now????  I think we'll hang out here in Middle Tennessee for one more day. . .the kids will help Patrick with his outdoor lights (another tradition), we'll try to eat up some of the food from yesterday, and our tennis friends are hosting an annual "Turkey Tennis" on Saturday.  Let the season continue!!

I'm linking up with host bloggers Andrea and Erika
Head over to their blogs to not only catch up with them, but others linking up as well :)

Love,
Jenni













Comments