Skip to main content

Nana

Today is Nana's birthday.
She has got to be a saint -- she's been married to this engineer for over 50 years!!!


My kids have the BEST Nana in the entire world.  Hands' down.
They have been fortunate in their lives to have had six grandparents at different times. . .a Nana, a Grandma, a Mammaw, a Papa John, a Grandpa Foster, and a Grandpa Fred.  Our oldest even had a Grammy (my grandmother), my Pa knew two of my children, and Mama Bell knew all four.  But today is about my mother-in-law, the best there is, Nana.
2011
My brother, sister, and I all hit jackpots when it came to in-laws.  Seriously.

This Nana of theirs is just the most terrific human being.
October 2017

Obviously she was a fantastic mother, to have raised a man like Tom and a daughter whom my kids also adore, Aunt Kathy.

August 2011

October 2011
Living several states away from Nana and Grandpa means that time with them is just a little more special.  These were some handoffs in 2010, 2011 & 2014. . .they'd drive half-way and we would drive half-way, just so they could have the kids for a few days or a week. . .
June 2014
August 2010

This is as far back as my digital pictures go -- this is Thanksgiving (obviously) 2004 and that is 1-yr-old Stephen in her arms. . .


Robert in kindergarten. . .this was a special phys. ed. fundraiser thing. . .Nana and Grandpa right there to cheer their first one on!!!
Who knew then how many of these they would attend as the years went by?

January 2005
Same kid. . .8 years later :)

And cheering another one on in another sport:
2013
And then cheering her in soccer in 2015:
And some more in 2016. . .
Smoky Mountain Cup 2016
And there were many COLD games you came out for. . .like the one and only game Stephen played for Algood before we moved to East Tennessee:
And a terribly windy one a month later for Laura:

Moving was difficult for everyone -- we wanted to go have an adventure together as a family, but leaving our Ohio family. . .we just didn't know what that would look like.  This was probably one of their first visits down to us -- the kids are 2, 4, 5, and 7.  AVJ's in there too -- she would have been 5 also.
Look at how lucky these kids are to have a Nana that continually takes them on adventures, introduces them to fun things, and wants to spend time with them teaching and learning new things.
Cox Arboretum 
Huntsville 2009
Alabama Coast 2010
Secret City 2011 - 3 generations
2012
Sugarcreek 2012
Knoxville Farmer's Market 2015

Pie baking 2016
Founder's Park October 2017

Horses are a passion of hers and Aunt Kathy's that they always exposed our children to but circumstances never really lined up to make it something that "stuck" with them.  But they have always known her love of horses.


2012
We moved two states away in 2006 -- but Christmas morning we were with Nana and Grandpa.  I think we have only missed Christmas morning at their house 3 times since then -- one time we were on vacation, one time they were with us, and one time I wanted to wake up in Tennessee -- the kids, to this day, will not forgive me that one -- Christmas needs to be in Ohio with them, according to them.  In fact, they were extremely worried, the year we stayed home Christmas morning, that Santa would not know not to leave their gifts there.  So. . .Christmas with Nana is a MUST.
Christmas 2010
Christmas 2012
Christmas 2013
Christmas 2014. . .always there to help Nana open her gifts. . .and then help her with Christmas breakfast too!
Christmas 2015 in a new TN house
Christmas 2016 - back in OH
Christmas 2017 -



Boating has always been "our thing" with the Bells.  They introduced me to the lake and this same boat when I was 18. . .and it is still a staple in our lives :)

(I'm obviously missing lots and lots of boating pictures. . .although we haven't been out in the last two years with you, we could always do it next week when we see you!)

Putt-putting has also been something that is "their" thing (this week Stephen is up visiting and he sent me their scorecard!!)
Since I rarely go with them I don't have many pictures. . .this must have been one of those rare times I was with them in 2009 :)
2013

A few of my all-time very favorite pictures. . .
Fish Friday 2014
2014
Birthday #11

Florida beach vacation 2006
Christmas 2008
Dale Hollow Lake 2007

Thanksgiving 2008
 
Bell girls :)


Alabama 2010



Reading is a passion of Nana's and there is not a kid of ours that does not like to have her to sit down and read with them.  I'll bet if she offered to read a book to our almost-20-yr-old he would light up and say, "yes!"  Do they truly know how lucky they are???


Additionally, cards have always been a part of life with Nana (and Grandpa Fred).

Do you remember all the times you would come down to TN so I could go away with my girlfriends?  One year it was a tennis trip to celebrate my graduate degree over Mother's Day weekend.  I came home to this:
My Bell family, sitting on my beautiful front porch.  You all had done some landscaping and hung some flowers.  It is still, to this day, one of the sweetest memories I have. . .and I don't know why I have a picture of it, but I'm so glad I do!!


And another time that you were there for me. . .through no one's fault (except the airlines) I was supposed to take another Mother's Day weekend trip and could not get out of my city.  You had come down to spend the weekend with Tom and the kids. . .and on this very disappointing day, when I was supposed to be somplace else, you spent your day with me.

There is so much to more say. . .so many more pictures (how can it be that I can't find any ice cream pictures?!?) and memories to share.  Nana, I hope you know what an impact you have had on all of our lives.  You have been a sister for 70+ years, a wife for 50+, a mother for 40+, and a Nana for almost 20 -- is this hard to believe?  
Three generations - daughter, granddaughters, mother - December 2014
The people in your life are who they are in part because YOU have been a part of their lives.  I love you, not just because you are Tom's mother, but because you have invested in ALL of us and been an example to me all of these years also.  Happy Birthday!!

(2013 -- we need another one!)


Comments