Skip to main content

Love well

I needed some pictures late last week and realized that I don't spend enough time documenting the moments in life -- to me, if the picture is important enough to take, it's something I want to journal about.  It used to be that I was so busy documenting that I was forgetting to live in the moment. . .I think I have a much better balance now.  But then, this week, I was reminded of why pictures have always been important to me -- because LIFE is important and it's fleeting.
My aunt lost her son (in the sunglasses) this week.  It was unexpected.  He was 41.  He was one of my twin cousins.  Born on my sister's 2nd birthday.  I say "my aunt's son" because I can't imagine losing a child.  I'm sure no one can.  He was also a dad -- of that great kid all the way to the left in the front row.  J is 9.  So a boy is now without his father, and a mother and father without their  son.  His girlfriend lost her partner and many people lost a friend.  His sister (in the blue between Stephen and J) lost her twin.  I simply can't imagine.  It was a "normal" day except he was out of town on business, with his father no less.  They worked that day and had dinner together that night.  And then Stephen's life was over, without warning.  This train of thought is my reflection of how fleeting life is, how pictures and memory and love that was shared is all that is left.  That, at any given time, the mundane, the routine, can later turn out to be blaring and significant.  That last phone call Stephen had with those he loved the most. . .and whether that conversation was Wednesday or last week, or two years ago it turns out that it was significant.  Life is a gift and I want to treat it as such.

This beautiful child of God -- a mother, Marmie (I was told, from Little Women), wife, friend, etc. lost her very quick battle with cancer.  She was 57.  This is her on Amanda's wedding day.  A day I was privileged to be a part of but a day that was significant because Amanda was given, through marriage, a mother to look up to, to lean on, to support her, and mentor her.  She was loved by so many.  I didn't know Sherri well, but I loved her because she loved Amanda well.  As people prayed on Facebook with her through this trial I learned more and more about the legacy she was leaving behind.  She loved WELL.  The tributes that poured in (again, on Facebook) late last week showed me that she lived as Jesus asked -- selfless, for Him, and pursuing His Kingdom.  As those left behind here on this cruel Earth mourn her loss, she is rejoicing at the feet of her Savior.  His promises are REAL and eternal.

So. . .LOVE WELL.  That has been my thought all week.  Show mercy and grace, even if it's not deserved.  Think twice before having the final word.  Go out of your way, even if it's a bit uncomfortable.  Do something unexpected -- not for accolades or recognition but because you CAN.  Loving well is hard.  Saying good-bye is harder.  Not getting to say good-bye is the hardest.  My love to all who are still ripe with pain from a loss.




Comments

  1. I am so sorry for your loss- this post speaks such truth- it is a great reminder to love and cherish- thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment