Skip to main content

Checking In - mid-July 2015

So much is going on, yet this is one of the *most* relaxing summers we have ever had.
Maybe I feel like it's been relaxing because Thomas hasn't been home (at the apartment) all summer and there is usually another one gone too.  Both Thomas and Marie spent 4 weeks serving at Cedar Lake Camp - Thomas as a Jr. Counselor and Marie as a CIT (Counselor-in-training).  Marie went the first four weeks (it's a 5-wk long season at CLC) and Thomas the last 4 weeks.  I was finally able to get them together last weekend to get their annual picture.  We picked up Margaret yesterday and she was not nearly as happy to get her annual picture (she was a camper last week).
Ugh.  It was a great day, though, because we all ate lunch together -- all 6 of us!!  Frederick had gone to a place in Cookeville a couple of times with a friend and convinced us to try it -- it was definitely worth it, and we'll go back since it's convenient to our trip coming home.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, IDK), I didn't get pictures of our house/moving process this weekend.  As frustrating as it is, we still have not been able to sell our Cookeville home.  Our new realtor took pictures last week before we packed and packed this weekend. . .we still have LOTS to go but needed to get back to our new city too since Marie leaves for high school soccer camp early this morning.
Here is our new listing.

We have bought a home here and hope to close (I say "hope" because the loan process has been quite difficult -- I don't think it's us as much as the bank we have gone with) this Friday!!  Yahoo!!  We had a walk-through on Thursday -- this is only the second time Frederick and Marie have seen the house.
We are excited and hope all works out so we can spend NEXT weekend in our new digs :)  We plan to move the apartment Friday-Saturday and then move the Cookeville house (with the help of movers) the following week.  

It is a little more crucial now than it was this time last week to rush and get this all done. . .because. . .last Monday I went on an interview. . 
Took a picture to let Tom know I made it there!
. . .for a job I didn't even apply for!  I've applied for probably 50-60 jobs in this county, filled out many questionnaires, gone on an interview at a private school for 6th grade social studies (it was something I would have really liked to have tried -- especially because I could have transferred any of my kids there), and an interview at a public Title I school for 6th grade ELA (not as excited about that one but I really liked the principal and the support that seems to be in that community), and was invited to participate in a Vice Principal Leadership Assessment that lasted all day last Friday.  Then, another principal called and said my resume had been passed on to her by THE tech leader in this county -- wow!  She described the job to me and it was a job description I would write if I could make up my dream position in any school!!!  She invited me to interview on Monday, hence the picture above.  The downfall to this particular school, though, is that it couldn't be further away from where we live unless it was in another county!!  Oh well.  I went, met many people on her leadership team, and walked away thinking that it would be wonderful to be offered this chance.  I truly didn't expect to hear anything before this week but. . .Wednesday I got the call!!  I was sooooo excited -- it just really seems perfect. . .well. . .except for the drive.  And except that I'm a middle school teacher -- elementary will be new territory for me!  Very excited for the challenge. . .this is a new, created position in her school so it will definitely be a year of "firsts" for all of us.  Yea!  So. . .with that all said. . .summer is going to end a bit earlier for me but all for a good reason :)

Twenty minutes after I received THAT phone call from our county HR department, I received a call from Cedar Lake Camp.  The nurse was calling to say that Thomas had sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs and that they were going to take him in to a local hospital for treatment.  Luckily we were at home at the time and Marie and I could leave within ten minutes (it's an hour and a half drive from here to the hospital).  I called ahead to the emergency room so they would know they had permission to treat and when I would be there.  Marie went with me but Frederick decided to stay home with the dog (and Margaret was already at camp -- found out later she knew nothing about it -- ha!).  We called Nana and Grandma on the way so they would know what was going on and made it without incidents.  

Thomas was working as a CIT instead of a counselor this week (the difference is counselors work with the kids and CITs do all of the work around camp -- kitchen, bathroom, maintenance,  keep up the grounds, etc.).  Apparently, he and a couple of other younger guys -- he's the oldest, but certainly not wisest -- were burning boxes in a 4-ft metal can.  Being boys, they decided to make it "fun" by jumping over the burning barrel.  Adding lighter fluid to the fire made the ground slippery -- Thomas slipped and fell IN the fire.  Their supervisor was driving by and saw the barrel fall on Thomas, came over and asked if he was alright.  He said, "yes" (of course).  A few minutes later he got a little smarter (or the pain got to him) and decided to tell the nurse that he hurt.  The following are the pictures I took when I got to the hospital:

Yuck.  He said it didn't hurt. . .we just don't see how that's possible!
Here is was getting bandaged up. . .
And still all smiles with his counselor and Marie:
Marie was lamenting about her height. . .these 2 are exceptionally tall!
We left, I took the boys to eat since they had missed lunch and sent them on their way with bandages for the nurse so she could keep him covered the next couple of days.  Thomas would NOT consider coming home (although we thought he should) and since his counselor was there to get all the directions -- no water, keep covered, etc -- I let him go back.  He *swears* he wasn't in pain.

Friday when I meet him in Cookeville for another doctor's appt this is what his injury looked like:

The doctor (his dermatologist) nor I were happy with the healing progress. . .she changed up his treatment and told him he couldn't go to camp this week.  He was supposed to help out at Lighthouse Christian Camp with my dad -- they served together last year and were hoping to make it something that they did together annually.  I know he was bummed about that but he needs to heal!!!  She is most concerned about those middle two pictures -- the back of his knee.  Depending on how it scars, it could impair his movement since the burn is over a joint.  


Time to wrap this post up!  Things got away from me Sunday night and yesterday (Monday) seemed to be run, run, run.  With the new job, I have lots of inservice days before school begins for the kids August 10th -- which means I have very little time here to prepare for the move.  When it rains, it pours -- that's o.k., I enjoy a full, busy life.  

Frederick's video for you:



Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Dinner

This is the easy crockpot pork tenderloin dinner that I mentioned the other day. Obviously I'm not making it again today, but it IS a great Sunday dinner -- definitely good enough for company too. Here is your cast of characters:
Pork tenderloin, 1 can of each: Cream of Mushroom, Golden Mushroom, and French Onion. I am not a fan of processed foods, but this is an exception. I also don't really like mushrooms but they are easy to pick out of this dish if you like (I give all of mine to Margaret). That's it, that's all you need! Oh, and a crockpot and 8-10 hours :)

Here is what a pork tenderloin looks like if you've never bought one.
When you open it up you get this:Lots of people will further trim that fat. . .I don't because it will cook off. I do rinse and pat it dry at this point. Also, when my mother makes this she salt and peppers the meat -- I do not. My kids HATE pepper and I generally don't add salt to my cooking.

Add all three soups to the cro…

Margaret's first 8th birthday party

Margaret had her 8th birthday party TWO WEEKS AGO!!! Ugh. It was on a Friday. The following Monday was the last day of school, then we left immediately for our trip "home" (300 miles away) and spent a week there. She had another party there, with family, ON her actual birthday. We traveled home Sunday, went to visit friends at Lake Cumberland in KY on Monday, "caught up" at home Tuesday, than visited Splash Country in Eastern TN with friends yesterday. Whew! Busy start to the summer :)This was the group of friends that were able to attend the party:Marie (her sister), AC, SM, EC, and the birthday girl herself :)She had three other people that were invited (she was 8, so I planned for a party of 8) but they didn't come.

We decided on a "crafting" party this year. My good friend and neighbor, Rene, works with Stampin' Up! and put together a great party at her house in her stamping room. The girls all made photo albums and charm bracelets. It…

Friday Favorites 11.10.17

It's been awhile. . .and my picture taking/documenting has plummeted.  I no longer have willing subjects every day (I have four teenagers!) and I am trying to balance being in the moment verses recording every moment.  Plus, I'm just in a stage that is routine. . .but that's not a bad thing.
So. . .moving backwards as I sometimes do on these posts. . .I wouldn't necessarily say that a "favorite" is a picture of me. . .but the photographer is a favorite of mine :)  Our neighbors, Tommy & Barbara, are framily to us and we are so thankful for their friendship and love.  My office needed a couple of headshots this week and Tommy came through, coming out on Thursday -- the time changed on him three times -- and snapping pictures between the raindrops.  It's fair to say I'm not unhappy with this photo.

Another highlight/favorite of the week was this:
Our girls both receiving team awards for their contributions to their HS soccer team this season.  It wa…