Skip to main content

A Day in the Life - January Saturday

A couple of weeks ago I was reading some Day in the Life posts. . .I really like them.  Of course, when I went back to link some I realized that it wasn't "a couple of weeks ago" but a few MONTHS ago. . .!!!  So. . .since life does speed by like this, I wanted to make a little diary of a "normal" Saturday in January around here. . .
 A good Saturday always starts with me up, alone, with all my blogs, catching up on what happened with those in my right sidebar during the week.  "Everyday life" has always been interesting to me and I enjoy doing this way more than watching TV or movies.  People interest me.


The dog doesn't usually even get up with me. . .she just lays over there, waiting for someone more interesting (or maybe more interested in her) to get up.  I usually have a chai tea or hot chocolate with me. . .even though water should be the first thing I ingest each morning -- I KNOW!

I really, really like my fitbit.  Mom gave both Tom and me one for Christmas and it is great for tracking sleep, calories (you manually enter), steps, and water intake (again, you have to enter).  I never drink enough water (!!!) and like to track my calories, watching my "allowance" go up during the day, depending on my activity level.


Below is an image from earlier in the week of my sleep pattern that night. . . I like knowing if I slept soundly or not and since it keeps records over a period of time I can really tell if I'm not getting enough sleep or whatever.
 Tom's a fairly-early riser too and tries to catch up on bills and soccer on Saturday mornings.  Since we took the desk out of the living room he either sits at the dining room table or here on the sofa with me in the living room :)

Apparently I recognized the beautiful sunrise that morning and snapped a picture of it :)

My dad is staying with us right now and this is his "morning chair".  He and his dog, Duke, check messages, drink coffee, and usually do some puzzles he's printed up at the library together.  It's a quiet, comfortable routine.
Frederick was NOT thrilled at 7:31 when I snapped this pic -- the kids don't much appreciate my "daily life" pictures. . .maybe they'll never see the value in them but every time I go back and read through a blog post or look at a scrapbook I'm so thankful for an abundance of visual memories of our good life.
It looks like he'd made himself some toast and scrambled eggs -- he's a good little cook! He and Tom were on their way out the door for his Saturday morning soccer (indoor) practice.



Marie at 8:11. . .Chelsea was waking the older ones  up. . .
 She headed in to get Thomas at 8:16. . .
 And then she was really excited about something outside and ran from window-to-window to check it out. . .I really don't remember what it was. . .probably a stray in our yard or something.
 I was *amazed* at how TALL Thomas has become (all of a sudden?!?). . .really can't believe it. . .
 . . .and also amazed at the pile of laundry that is *ALWAYS* there.
(Actually, that picture is pretty good for a weekend morning. . .trying to do more during the week.)
 Margaret was still sound asleep at 8:54 but that didn't really matter since she didn't want to go to the soccer games that morning that the others wanted to see (our club's U16 girls were playing in town).
Thomas wanted a haircut but, of course, would not allow a before OR after pic. . .

 . . .and while he was there Marie and I ran to Kroger for a "few" things. . .
 Then I dropped them off to watch the soccer game and picked up my dad (he had gone to the Y to work out) and we headed to Sam's Club for MORE grocery shopping. . .
I love these two and the relationship they have together!!!

 Guess I needed gas while at Sam's too. . .glad Dad was there to fill it up for me!!!
 Our Sam's basket with our "regular" staples. . .off to run through the Chick-fil-A drive-through to take food to everyone at the game (Frederick and Tom had joined them there by then)
 And a treat for this one since I had called ahead and asked her to prep potatoes for dinner that night. . .she's a good girl.  Our main course is in the middle. . .stay tuned. . . .

Margaret and I took the dog down to the creek in our neighborhood to run around a bit. . .



 She's a good girl -- so glad she adopted us :)

 Back to town for soccer training. . .



Tom even jumped in to play goalie :)


After training we went home and saw a boy out in the driveway practicing before his game. . .
 We love Upwards Ball. . .we took the last two seasons off but were so happy to re-join the league this year.  Frederick was the only Bell kid who decided to play.















I was given the job of keeping stats for this game. . .
Frederick's enthusiastic fans - I was trying to get a Picture of the Day

So far so good in the fitbit department. . .


And a little live action. . .
We headed home for a dinner that had been warming in the oven for a few hours. . .

 We don't *always* eat this well on a Saturday night (especially a Saturday night when we've been running most of the day) but this was a fundraiser Boston Butt.  It was *so* good!!!  Marie's coach smokes them for us/the team.  And Margaret's wrapped potatoes turned out great too :)

Margaret also surprised us with cupcakes!!
 Cards for some, relaxing for Tom, and Margaret working on an ELA assignment.  Yes, on a Saturday night.  When we say "no screens" she can usually find a reason she *has* to look at one -- ha!  She has a great teacher this year who has put a lot of their classwork online, which I personally love.
I was working on filling out applications for some private schools in our new city. . .

Time for bed!!!






Dishwasher running. . .laundry getting caught up. . .
Time to call it a day!  I was over on calories but hit my 10,000 steps.  I love my fitbit!!!


And I do realize this is March.  It has taken me weeks to write this. . .pathetic, I know.  But I want to remember these details in a life that passes/goes by much too quickly.

~ Jenni

Comments