Skip to main content

POTD 2.24.13

Can you guess what this is???

A Sunday night grading session.  And I had two great helpers this weekend :)

I make it a point to take Saturdays off. . .but then Sundays usually look like this. . .on-and-off most of the day.  This was taken about 8:20 p.m. -- almost time for bed.  For anyone ever wondering. . .teaching is NOT an 8-3 job.  From 8-3 we t.e.a.c.h.  At some point we are also expected to write lesson plans, make up tests/quizzes/worksheets, run copies, grade papers (113 for every assignment I collect), enter grades into a database, justify these grades when asked, keep up a website, respond to e-mails, bus/car duty at least once a month which adds an additional 5+ hours onto the working week, if we want to take a field trip or buy anything we need to fundraise. . .and I coach (for free). . .grade state assessments because I'm told to (whether we're getting paid for that is still up in the air -- this is after-school time and not my subject area). . .and, in case you're wondering, I made less then $30K last year with 8 years experience and a master's degree.  So it's not -- it's never -- about the money.  I love what I do. . .but the duties and expectations of the "average" classroom teacher have increased to a breaking point, in my opinion.  I love what I do too much to quit -- but I love my family more and this is no longer fair to them.  Sigh.

So, the text part of my picture of the day has become a downer. . .or I can leave it the way I see it when I look at the picture -- enjoying time with my youngest two -- that they have become old enough to HELP. . .that they understand what "work" is, that maybe little nuggets of responsibility are settling into their souls and they will grow up knowing that we work together as a family. . .

And it's one more week until Spring Break!!!  (Of which two days I'll be in school. . .ha!)

Comments