Skip to main content

POTD 01.22.13

I want to remember this.  It isn't the greatest picture of the memory, but worth bragging about.  Frederick had come into my room after school beside himself trying to write a 5-paragraph persuasive paper for his ELA teacher (he's in 4th grade).  I had tried and tried to help him fill out his graphic organizer, but to no avail. . .I just wasn't "good enough" for him.  Thomas had been out at soccer practice and Margaret was already at cheer practice.  When Thomas came in he wondered what was wrong with Frederick.  As soon as Frederick told him the "problem" of his paper Thomas pulled up a desk, got out a piece of paper, and started helping him write it.  He drew a graphic organizer for him (saying, "I do this all the time, like every day", and telling him that the graphic organizer his teacher provides is "much easier" then the one Frederick's teacher had given him -- ha!) and helped Frederick to get all of his ideas together.  I know it looks here that he is doing all of the work, but he really wasn't. . .maybe he was just drawing it at this point?
Anyway, it was a sweet memory for me as a mom and one I wanted to share with his former ELA teachers too.  Sometimes it's so incredibly difficult in the classroom and you don't know if what you're saying and/or doing is effective or "worth it".  I heard patience in Thomas as well as lots of good teaching. . .straight from his teacher's mouths, I'm sure.  For all the frustrating moments. . .this one makes up for them :)

~ Jenni

Comments