Skip to main content

Keeping Up

Saturday morning, 7:30 a.m. 
Wow. . .what does that mean?!?  If "keeping up" means keeping in touch with family through this blog, that would be a big, fat "F".  If "keeping up" means getting to work and school and sports activities on time each day I think our family would make an "A".  If "keeping up" means a clean house and meals on the table. . .well. . .I wouldn't give us an "F" but a "C" would be stretching it. . .we generally leave the house at 7 a.m. each morning and return home 8-pm-ish in the evening.  It's a busy, full, life.  This is the first Saturday since mid-summer that we only have one thing on the calendar.  And it's a local, afternoon, no pressure, "fun" game.  The idea of not having to get someone somewhere before noon is about as rare as a blue moon.  I might even finish this post today :)

OH, AND I SPOKE TOO SOON.  Just this very minute a text came in. . .apparently a few (literally) basketball games have been scheduled at the last minute for Marie. . .the first of which begins in less then two hours.  Ha!  We'll need to leave the house in about 45 minutes. . .I'll let her sleep for another 15.  Even after 6.5 years living in a small town I still haven't reconciled their "last minute" schedule changes (or non-communication threre-of) with my planned-in-advance-to-the-minute calendar.

Monday morning, 5:30 a.m.  
Well, never did I think I wouldn't get *one* post done this weekend!!  As soon as I typed that last line I downloaded my phone and my camera to update with a couple of pictures.  Then my sister called.  I talked to her until about 10 minutes before we walked out the door.  I got back on the computer to at least hit "publish" and someone had closed my window.  Sigh.  No time to pull it back up. . .off to the basketball courts we went.

This is about how it goes. . .again, busy and full but not hectic.  It's a good pace for us.
Friday morning, 7 a.m. - leave house for school and work
Friday afternoon, 3 p.m. - last bell rings
Friday afternoon, 3:30 p.m. - just make it to the tennis courts for open court time
Friday afternoon, 4:50 p.m. - friend of Thomas's picks him up at the courts for an out-of-town soccer game
Friday afternoon, 5:15 p.m. - last parent picks up player, Tom picks up Frederick & Marie for soccer training
Friday evening, 5:30 p.m. - Margaret and I return to school for a PTO dinner and variety show that staff is participating in. . .we eat there and I get ready (70's style) in the staff bathroom
Friday evening, 7 p.m. - Margaret wins the grand prize of the evening -- an iPod touch, 5th generation!!!!
Friday evening, 8:30 p.m. - event is over, Thomas's ride calls and needs to meet in 15 minutes
Friday night, 8:45 p.m. - pick Thomas up. . .they tied their game 3-3, Thomas scoring one of the goals :)
Friday night, 9:15 p.m. - home, finally. . .Tom and the other two show up about 20 minutes later
Saturday morning, 7:30 - begin blogging for the first time in a long time :)
Saturday morning, 8:45 - out the door
Saturday morning, 10:15 - leave game and head to Sam's Club, lunch, and to drop water off for the soccer banquet Monday night (these are mini-games -- 2 quarters -- and Marie's team was slaughtered. . .they only had 5 players though)
Saturday morning, 11:45 - get home, unload groceries, throw dinner in the crockpot and back out the door at 12:15 p.m.
Saturday afternoon, 12:30 - back at the gym
~between Marie's two games I take Margaret and Thomas to the library and Thomas to the soccer field for his soccer training. . .he has a fun-type soccer game scheduled at 4 p.m. also~
Saturday afternoon, 3:15ish - the rest of us head to the soccer fields (Marie's team slaughtered the other two teams, both of which are local. . .this time there were 2-3 more players for us). . .Margaret and I sat in the car and read for awhile. . .Marie joined the soccer training and was a sight on the field in her school basketball uniform and soccer cleats :)  No, I didn't get a picture. . .
Saturday afternoon, 4 p.m. - head across the parking lot with Margaret to watch Thomas play. . .Tom and the other two stay at soccer training. . .the coach generally lets Frederick play in the scrimmages at the end of practice
Saturday evening, 5:45 - leave the soccer fields, quick stop at Wal-Mart for 2-3 "essentials" and HOME!!!
A RARITY - we spent the evening at home together, with a *great* dinner (complete with a pie Thomas made Tuesday that we hadn't had a chance to eat) and Mary Poppins on the VCR.  Can you even believe we still have one of those?!?
Sunday morning, 8:30 a.m. (of course we had an extra hour of sleep in there -- yea!  I made scrambled eggs and French toast with the extra time :)) - Tom and boys out the door for a new-to-us church. . .Thomas's youth group went on a retreat this weekend so he knew they would not be having small groups at our church so they went there.
Sunday morning, 9:45 a.m. - girls and I leave for church
Sunday morning, 10:10 a.m. - 3rd grade Sunday School for me, 5/6 for the girls
Sunday, 11:45 a.m. - Tom calls. . .asks if we want to meet at our favorite Sunday place for lunch. . .
Sunday, 1:15 p.m. - Tom and 3 of the 4 kiddos leave to go out of town (1.5 hours away) for a soccer friendly -- this will be his last one this season
Sunday, 1:30 p.m. - Margaret and I pull into school for me to do some school work
Sunday 6:30 p.m. - Tom texts to say that they are home. . .guess I'd better pack up and leave too.  I got a lot done!!!  Margaret brought a big towel in from the car and had fashioned a "bed" for herself in the hallway, watching Netflix on her new iPod most of the afternoon.  She also helped with many copies :)
Sunday, 7 p.m. - we are all home again together.  Tom and the kiddos watch "Tarzan" and I finish up 3-4 loads of laundry that have been piling up and change out my summer and fall clothes.  I *hate* cold weather.
Sunday, 8:30 p.m. - all kiddos are in bed and we decide to hit the sheets early too :)  I am reading a great book that my dad got Marie for her birthday "Between Shades of Gray" and probably stayed up too late with that but certainly won't touch a book again until next weekend for sure. . .
Monday, 5:30 a.m. - out of bed. . .thinking I want to grade another set of papers but also want to finish this. . .
Monday, 6:10 a.m. - time to get the kids up and start another week!!!!

Love,
Jenni

Kids all together the day after Marie's birthday. . .yes, we're so never here that it stretched over two days!


Comments