Skip to main content

Progress and Compromise

A picture of our dining room the day we moved in 6 years ago -- ha!
Marie and I were busy yesterday!  We (mostly she) primed until we ran out of primer.
And I couldn't even bribe the kids with Sonic drinks to get them to go into town with me get more.  
Sigh.  We'll finish up today.

 I sent Tom pictures of my "planning":

 I taped out the height and width that I thought the top board and battens should be and came up with a 14" spacing between the battens and around the corners. 


Then I decided to roughly paint in my thoughts. . .
I don't see how all these blogs and videos just "put it up" without trial runs. . .too many years of living with an engineer myself I guess.  Anyhow. . .spent some time figuring out measurements but didn't go to the trouble of getting levels out or anything. . .

At this point we closed up shop in the dining room (isn't Margaret's chair looking great?!?) and I headed out to the garage to stew over the table some more.

It's ready to go. . .I'm just not.  I'm nervous.  I've never done anything like this before.  I'm going for a look like this: 


Source                   
Minus the turquoise legs.  I'm truly not certain yet.  I like this too:
Still loving the painted bottom with stained top - great tutorial here (w/out chalk paint and AS wax).
Source
But don't think white either.  Love the dark walnut stain and painted bottom. . .maybe black with a distressed top white coat?  Or a white with a dark glaze? 

Anyway, I'm still too nervous to do anything so I took this table that the kids have had for probably 12 years (I didn't know I was going to show this so didn't take a "before" -- I found a snipit of the table in a picture from earlier this week), sanded it down quickly, and tried out my stain color/technique on it:
You know, I really like it!  There's a lot of variation in the stain but I attribute that to a very, very quick sand and wipe-down job. . .like I brought the table in the garage from the dining room at 8 p.m. and this picture was snapped at 9 p.m.  Anyway. . .encouraged but still nervous, I had Tom help me turn our "real" table over so I could test a patch on that.  
Sanded part of it down, applied the same walnut stain:
And after 7-10 minutes or so wiped it down.  Not exactly in love.
This picture was taken this morning. . .I actually re-applied the left side and still not what I'm looking for.  I love how the wood grain "pops".  My camera isn't showing how "light" it is compared to what I was hoping for.  And the top may have two different types of woods, as it appears the bottom has.

The edges/frame looks to be solid all the way through but the middle is a veneer as evidenced by the split I accidentally put in it yesterday (you can see where I had to glue it in the bottom-left quadrant of the picture.)  So. . .????
The table will probably continue to sit for a few more days.

The window is going to happen -- woohoo!!!  
We'll wait until that is installed before deciding on a paint color.  I *might* even get to paint the ceiling something other than white :)

The board & batten was the compromise.  I was talking Tom into it and he just never really liked the idea.  I'm o.k. with that because. . . .
He agreed to re-do the baseboards to something chunkier and PUT IN CROWN MOLDING!!!  So. . .although I'll have those plain, blank walls to deal with. . .they will be easier to "deal with" when there is beautiful, thick molding in the room.  So. . .all in all. . .I love knowing the direction in which we are moving (read:  decisions have been made) and more then that, I like working together.  

*Thomas will be home Saturday.  Can't wait to see him.
*Marie & Frederick finish up their local soccer camp today.  And it is HOT.  Temps are expected to reach 100 degrees.
*Margaret finished her cheer/choreography camp yesterday and now will have two weeks off.  She's excited to get fitted for her uniform/costume today.
*We got two new 1-person tubes for the boat yesterday -- excited to try those out!!!

Happy Thursday!
Jenni

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Dinner

This is the easy crockpot pork tenderloin dinner that I mentioned the other day. Obviously I'm not making it again today, but it IS a great Sunday dinner -- definitely good enough for company too. Here is your cast of characters:
Pork tenderloin, 1 can of each: Cream of Mushroom, Golden Mushroom, and French Onion. I am not a fan of processed foods, but this is an exception. I also don't really like mushrooms but they are easy to pick out of this dish if you like (I give all of mine to Margaret). That's it, that's all you need! Oh, and a crockpot and 8-10 hours :)

Here is what a pork tenderloin looks like if you've never bought one.
When you open it up you get this:Lots of people will further trim that fat. . .I don't because it will cook off. I do rinse and pat it dry at this point. Also, when my mother makes this she salt and peppers the meat -- I do not. My kids HATE pepper and I generally don't add salt to my cooking.

Add all three soups to the cro…

Love well

I needed some pictures late last week and realized that I don't spend enough time documenting the moments in life -- to me, if the picture is important enough to take, it's something I want to journal about.  It used to be that I was so busy documenting that I was forgetting to live in the moment. . .I think I have a much better balance now.  But then, this week, I was reminded of why pictures have always been important to me -- because LIFE is important and it's fleeting.
My aunt lost her son (in the sunglasses) this week.  It was unexpected.  He was 41.  He was one of my twin cousins.  Born on my sister's 2nd birthday.  I say "my aunt's son" because I can't imagine losing a child.  I'm sure no one can.  He was also a dad -- of that great kid all the way to the left in the front row.  J is 9.  So a boy is now without his father, and a mother and father without their  son.  His girlfriend lost her partner and many people lost a friend.  His sister…

Margaret's first 8th birthday party

Margaret had her 8th birthday party TWO WEEKS AGO!!! Ugh. It was on a Friday. The following Monday was the last day of school, then we left immediately for our trip "home" (300 miles away) and spent a week there. She had another party there, with family, ON her actual birthday. We traveled home Sunday, went to visit friends at Lake Cumberland in KY on Monday, "caught up" at home Tuesday, than visited Splash Country in Eastern TN with friends yesterday. Whew! Busy start to the summer :)This was the group of friends that were able to attend the party:Marie (her sister), AC, SM, EC, and the birthday girl herself :)She had three other people that were invited (she was 8, so I planned for a party of 8) but they didn't come.

We decided on a "crafting" party this year. My good friend and neighbor, Rene, works with Stampin' Up! and put together a great party at her house in her stamping room. The girls all made photo albums and charm bracelets. It…