Skip to main content

40

It was a good birthday.  At first we thought we wouldn't all be together until about 8 p.m. that night (Thursday) but then Tom forgot to set the alarm for his morning church group so we ended up doing presents before school.  Yep, they probably were as tired as they all look here.
And one Thomas took of us:
The kids had made cards for me and helped to pick out a couple of gifts. . .


(there it goes again. . .turning pictures on me)

And Tom surprised me with a new pair of Born boots!!!
They are really great.  And I just *happened* to be wearing an outfit that "fit" them perfectly :)  Later that day, at school, one of my students asked me "what I got for my birthday" and I pulled up my pants leg to show them my boots and the tag was still on -- ha!  
The other stunning, most beautiful, thoughtful gift came the day before from my sister and her family:
This is a camera phone picture because I wanted to send it to her right away Thursday morning. . .it is a gorgeous sapphire surrounded by diamonds.  I've always been partial to sapphires and this is just a treasure.

Tom took some time off from work to come and have lunch with me and Thomas forfeited his time with his friends in the cafeteria to eat with us too -- great kid!  That morning all the kiddos had said "Mom, tell us what you want for lunch and since it's your birthday we'll pack it for you" -- so sweet!  The one day lunch was going to be made for me. . .oh well, it's the thought that counts.  During fourth period the office called and a student answered. . .she told me there was a flower delivery for me in the office. . .???  So I asked her if she wanted to go get it for me. . .
One of my bestest friends had sent flowers!!!  Isn't that the greatest thing ever???  I really couldn't believe it -- not something I *ever* expected.

It really was a terrific 40th.  My in-laws had been down the weekend before and gave me a red sweater (I need red now that my school color is red!) and took me shopping for fabric for new bar stool covers.  That is going to be awesome too. . .Nancy is going to make the covers for me and Fred will re-paint the stools since the fabric we picked out doesn't really go with the black they are now painted.  My mom sent money for a pedicure (hope to get that TODAY!) and my dad will babysit for us again next time he comes down so Tom and I can have another date night -- priceless. 

The best part?  I love my life.  I really *like* 40 (or, at least, the entire 2+ days I've been 40).  It seems to "fit" me, at least in my mind.  I am healthy.  I have healthy children, a one-in-a-million spouse to share my life with, and live in a place that we like.  God has fulfilled my dream, again, of being in the classroom and provided us with not only our needs but our "wants" too.  Every day is a learning experience and for the most part every day is a challenge.  That is not a bad thing. . .we are growing together. . .still trying to find "balance" and yet making it all work, somehow.  This could only happen with the help of dear family and friends to lift us up and walk alongside us. . .so many things to be grateful for at 40.


Comments

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope your year is full of peace, grace and more love than your heart can hold!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day!! I know it's not about the gifts, but you got some great thoughtful gifts. What wonderful family and friends you've got. Happy happy birthday to you! I was just talking to Melody about the "big birthdays" today since she had one on Thursday. She turned 5!! And we were talking about how my BIL just turned the big 3-0 and my dad is turning the big 7-0. And then she had said someone was turning the big 7-4. haha Love that kid. Anyway, so glad to hear that you are enjoying being the big 4-0. I feel like I'm enjoying each birthday as it passes (more wisdom, right? ;p) so it's refreshing to hear when others aren't grumbling about getting older (wiser, hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on turning 40! I have loved being being 40 -- it's just been hard to keep track of the years after 40-- I'm 40-something... I wish I could take the confidence of my 40s back to the experiences of my 20s.

    Thanks for your great comment on my blog about friendships. I can see why there is a new season in your life! Congrats on the teaching job. There are many things that I can resonate with -- 4 kids (but in 7 years). Our kids are nearly the same ages. I moved from the midwest to middle tn. And I love to teach. I do homeschool my kids but last spring I tutored in an after-school program in the public schools , in the middle school. I loved it. That's when I knew that I really loved to teach. I'm so glad that you feel called to teach in the public schools. The Lord calls each one of us to different places, in different seasons.

    Happy Birthday and Happy Teaching, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment