Skip to main content

An Empty Nest

They are officially all gone.  For a week.  Wow.  It hasn't been 24 hours since we dropped the last three at camp yesterday so I'm still o.k.

Friday night we drove to Knoxville and got a hotel room so when the VJ's (my sister & her family) drove through sometime after midnight from their vacation in South Carolina to their home in Ohio we would be there to unload Frederick onto them.
I let him fall asleep on my side of the bed until he was picked up. . .everyone was exhausted by the time we checked in about 11 p.m. so it was easy getting them all down to sleep.  I just sat in the lobby and read my book.  VJs flew through just before 2 a.m.

And then there were three.

We spent a nice day together.  First lunch at Calhoun's on the River:

They are taking a bridge down and we even heard a blast during lunch. . .the kids thought that was exciting.
When Marie didn't want the rest of her meal, the server suggested they take the french fries over to the ducks and fish -- they *loved* this!!!
They couldn't get over how BIG the fish were!
As a side note, I did *not* get up from the table to take these pics -- the older two took my camera and did a pretty good job with it :)

After lunch we visited the American Museum of Science & Energy.
We all had a really good time.  I was absolutely fascinated with this history:
And I love, how in these types of museums, they have information everywhere -- even in the bathroom!!!
And TONS of hands-on stuff for the kids to do:

 Margaret had to balance 14 nails on the head of one.  Pretty good, huh?


We went to an "atom" show and Margaret was called up on stage for a demonstration:
 And then Thomas was pulled out of the audience to show charged energy flow:

Fun.  We will definitely have to take the grandparents to this museum sometime. . .I learned so much about the "Hidden City" and the kids just had fun with all the hands-on science stuff.  A great day all the way around!

It took Thomas about an hour to build this





And then Sunday rolled around.  We went to church. . .out to eat. . .ran to the drugstore for some bug spray and sunscreen for camp. . .threw a few "last minute" things into camp bags. . .
And then we were off!  (Hate seeing Frederick's empty seat there. . .holding library books to take back. . .)

This is the girls' first year here as campers, but Thomas's fifth year!


 Setting up.  Marie didn't even climb down to say good-bye.
 Oh, yea, she was ready to go.  Their bunks are across the room from one another -- there were only two beds left when we got there!  They have three counselors with them this week.
Thomas and his cousin, Patrick.  It was *hot* out. . .wondering how long Patrick lasted in those jeans seeing as nothing is air-conditioned and their camp counselors said they were in the hottest cabin!!!

I came home to this on the board:
I asked all the kids to write a note or draw a picture. . .and then I added all the counselors' names on the board so I will remember to pray for them by name this week too.
Tom and I had made up a project list. . .ideas of ways to fill our time. . .but now he's out of town today and it looks like it will be a busy week for him at work so I guess it will be an empty sort of week :(  I have BIG plans to really deep-clean the house though!

And no, as of right now, 12:30 Monday afternoon, I haven't heard anything about the job.  Of course I don't expect to get the job I interviewed for. . .but. . .I would love the opportunity all the same!!!!  Hope always lives on in me. . .:)
ETA:  The principal called a little after 2. . ."we offered the position to someone else but there is an opening for {fill-in-the-blank}. . .would you like to be considered for that?"  Sure. . .why not?  School starts in two weeks here anyway so it won't be a long wait to see if we'll be homeschooling again or going this route. . .I did tell the principal that the interview last week made me realize where I want my career to go in the future. . .I think that's the first time I've really admitted that to myself too.  God's in complete control of all of it.  Even considering a lifestyle change this weekend made me a little nervous. . .I really am in love with the life we lead right now!
~ Jenni


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Dinner

This is the easy crockpot pork tenderloin dinner that I mentioned the other day. Obviously I'm not making it again today, but it IS a great Sunday dinner -- definitely good enough for company too. Here is your cast of characters:
Pork tenderloin, 1 can of each: Cream of Mushroom, Golden Mushroom, and French Onion. I am not a fan of processed foods, but this is an exception. I also don't really like mushrooms but they are easy to pick out of this dish if you like (I give all of mine to Margaret). That's it, that's all you need! Oh, and a crockpot and 8-10 hours :)

Here is what a pork tenderloin looks like if you've never bought one.
When you open it up you get this:Lots of people will further trim that fat. . .I don't because it will cook off. I do rinse and pat it dry at this point. Also, when my mother makes this she salt and peppers the meat -- I do not. My kids HATE pepper and I generally don't add salt to my cooking.

Add all three soups to the cro…

Love well

I needed some pictures late last week and realized that I don't spend enough time documenting the moments in life -- to me, if the picture is important enough to take, it's something I want to journal about.  It used to be that I was so busy documenting that I was forgetting to live in the moment. . .I think I have a much better balance now.  But then, this week, I was reminded of why pictures have always been important to me -- because LIFE is important and it's fleeting.
My aunt lost her son (in the sunglasses) this week.  It was unexpected.  He was 41.  He was one of my twin cousins.  Born on my sister's 2nd birthday.  I say "my aunt's son" because I can't imagine losing a child.  I'm sure no one can.  He was also a dad -- of that great kid all the way to the left in the front row.  J is 9.  So a boy is now without his father, and a mother and father without their  son.  His girlfriend lost her partner and many people lost a friend.  His sister…

Margaret's first 8th birthday party

Margaret had her 8th birthday party TWO WEEKS AGO!!! Ugh. It was on a Friday. The following Monday was the last day of school, then we left immediately for our trip "home" (300 miles away) and spent a week there. She had another party there, with family, ON her actual birthday. We traveled home Sunday, went to visit friends at Lake Cumberland in KY on Monday, "caught up" at home Tuesday, than visited Splash Country in Eastern TN with friends yesterday. Whew! Busy start to the summer :)This was the group of friends that were able to attend the party:Marie (her sister), AC, SM, EC, and the birthday girl herself :)She had three other people that were invited (she was 8, so I planned for a party of 8) but they didn't come.

We decided on a "crafting" party this year. My good friend and neighbor, Rene, works with Stampin' Up! and put together a great party at her house in her stamping room. The girls all made photo albums and charm bracelets. It…