Skip to main content

First Day of School

I'm only three days late posting this -- ha!  Actually, I *almost* forgot their pictures. . .everyone was loaded in the van and we were pulling out when I remembered I had to run in for something (phone? water?) and saw the camera hanging by the door.  OH MY!  I would have been very upset with myself if I forgot these!  I hauled the crew back out of the van and got a few good shots.  I LOVE the first day of school.  And not because the kids are gone. . .I have a love/hate with that aspect. . .it's because it's back to routine, back to learning, and, well, I just love, love, love school myself.  I wish I would have had a "first day" this year too :(
Frederick is in second grade now.  He has the same teacher this year as Marie did two years ago.  They added a 5th 2nd grade teacher this year so there are only 19 kids in each class -- that is SO great!!  (He had 22-23 in his 1st grade class.)  We ran into the principal of our school at dinner the night before and Frederick was so excited to see her and ask a million questions about the year -- I love that my kids love school as much as I always did.
Margaret had her bag packed the day we school-supply shopped (Friday).  And then unpacked and re-packed several times over the weekend :)  She has the BEST teacher in the entire county. . .we've been so, so blessed that both her older brother and sister had Mrs. Miller too.  I could go on and on she's that fantastic.  It will be a tough year for her, for sure, because Mrs. Miller expects a lot and 3rd grade is the first year kids really start to get homework and state testing begins this year too. 
Marie is in 4th grade.  When we went to Registration Day last Friday we were over-the-moon excited that she was going to be in my good friend Emily's classroom!  She is one of the first people I met when we first moved to the area and last year she got a job at the kids' school teaching 3rd grade.  They needed another 4th grade teacher this year and one less 3rd grade so she, being the newest teacher, moved to 4th grade.  When we were school shopping on Friday we even picked up Christmas gifts for her and Mrs. Miller, since I know them both well enough and found the *perfect* book for each of them.  And then Marie got off the bus Tuesday and said "Mrs. Hammock isn't going to be my teacher.  Mrs. Huntley is.  And she wasn't there today so we had a sub."  What?!?  I called Emily and asked what had happened.  Remeber that 5th 2nd grade teacher they added?  Sunday night the principal decided it was going to be HER and they were going to transfer in another 4th grade teacher from another county school.  Sigh.  Mrs. Huntley has been a teacher in this school before (a younger grade) and none of my kids have ever had her. . .but. . .it was just disappointing because Marie and I both thought it was cool that she was going to be in Emily's classroom.  And plus, could you imagine moving an entire classroom in ONE DAY?!?  Craziness. . .
Thomas is now in 6th grade.  6TH GRADE!!!  That was the grade I taught for 6 years. . .back then the kids were "so big" to me. . .now I don't think so at all. . .now that one is mine :)  He has two new teachers this year and I think it's going to be a fantastic year for them. . .the new teachers are on fire and ready to get the kids working!  Both were long-term subs in the school last year so they know the routine and some of the kids too (one was Marie's student teacher even!). . .I think it will be a good year for him.  And what I love is he, like all the others, really likes school and likes going. . .I dare say, and if you told him I said this he'd deny it, that he even likes the work.  Thomas likes a challenge and I think this year may hold some challenges for him.  This was the class I was a long-term sub for last year so I know the kids well and it is just a great bunch of kids. . .that is important too I think. 

So. . .all in all, this year (all three days of it) is off to a good start.

Then there was one more change that we didn't know about until after school on Tuesday. .
They have a new bus driver this year too :(  Ricky has been driving the bus forever and this year was elected to the school board so had to give this up.  So. . .right now they are on the bus in the afternoons but we'll see how it goes.  I was always comfortable with Ricky and even rode his route with him one day last year, for one of my school assignments, and don't know how I feel about someone new.  We'll see.  Lots of kids in our neighborhood ride so I'll certainly hear if something is up. . .I think. . .
As you can see in these pictures. . .the youngest two are running to the front porch, the older two kind of lagging behind.  Did the first day wear them out????

Here's to another year. . .I like reading homeschooling blogs but for now, in our lives, this is working.  I was a public school teacher and am a public school advocate. . .even though I do think there is more bad then good in some schools.  Unfortunately, this can be said about most of society.  Home is where values are taught, love is given, examples of what family means is observed.  We are blessed to live in a small community where, when you run into the principal of the school the night before schools starts, she knows your family, knows the kids' names, and takes the time to ask what they are looking forward to and listening to what they have to say.  And we say the Pledge to the flag.  And observe a moment of silence.  And do prayer around the flagpole.  And our kids can talk freely about Jesus to their classmates and teachers without fear.  These are the things that are valuable to Tom and I right now. . .

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you. I am planning to homeschool, but this area has some great public schools. I remember first day excitement, I always stroll down the back to school aisles to relive those memories, maybe even buy some crayons for that wonderful smell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just stopping by to say hi and thanks for your comment on my 'from built in to pantry' post! I totally feel you on being a little nervous about new teachers/bus drivers you don't know...I think it is SO important to have teachers you know and trust (as the parent!) I plan on homeschooling but only because it feels right for my family- not for lack of good schools. I would love Montessori but it is so expensive so I plan on using that concept at home! :)
    Again thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!
    -Kristi
    @ Creative Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment