Skip to main content

Valentines

This is currently what my dining room table looks like:While most of the nation was tuned in to the Super Bowl (I did hear it was a good game), our family was busy with Valentine cards for school parties on Friday. My kids like to make their own and I conjured up the patience last night to let them.What memories these are and I'm so glad that we had this time together.I got out red, pink, and white paper, pink and red stamps, a couple alphabet sets, my V-day stamps, ribbon and let them get to work. They did a really good job, each of them, at creating their own unique designs.After two hours no one is completely done, but the older two have a much bigger stash than the younger two. Here is Thomas's pile:
There's just something about an 11-yr-old boy working so hard on something for his classmates. He's such a caring soul. . .I hope this never changes.
Marie made white cards for the boys and is working on the pink ones for her female classmates.
She was very careful stamping out each name in a pattern, than being particular which color ribbon went with which ink. She's not usually so careful about these things. . .I loved it.Margaret created her own simple design too, but, ala Margaret got tired stamping everyone's name and began just to write them in :)Frederick worked so intently on his best friend's valentine that it was about the only one he completed from start-to-finish. About an hour into the project I asked my husband to come in and help him along. . .I'll probably have Thomas help him finish up later today.My family is my greatest blessing. We only get one shot at this parenting thing and after 2 hours of concentrated effort on the part of the children last night, my heart sings. Sometimes I think Tom and I have gotten it right -- when our kids care enough about their friends at school that they would take time on a Sunday night to put these together.
Of course, not having television was a disappointment for Thomas last night. . .he's starting to "get" that "everyone else" is doing something he is not. Is it worth giving something else up in our lives in order to pay $75/month for television service? NO!!!! (Or, not yet. . .) And here's how I see it. . .in 10 years will we remember who played?? Probably not. Will we remember these times that we spent together, enjoying our time around the table creating??? Even if our minds don't remember *exactly* what we did, our hearts will carry these memories. You know what's great?!? We are abundantly wealthy in love, not only between ourselves, but in Christ's love too.

Comments