Skip to main content

Life Without Internet Access

I am beginning to really feel the pain of no internet access. I always knew my life "revolved" around the internet (especially when we moved to our rural area) but it's really come to light this last week. Last Thursday it went down unexpectedly and after two phone calls from me to tech services Friday, then one from my husband, we still didn't have the issue resolved. We were put in for a service call, but you know how that goes. Tom went out Sunday and bought a new modem, thinking that could be the cause. After HOURS of work on that it was a no-go. It's not the modem. He called again yesterday (Monday) and again, we're "on the repair call list". Great.

Do you know how many things I do on the internet? I sure didn't. Sunday the kids asked "who started Valentine's Day?". Hmmmmmm. . . .can't go look it up. All the kids got $5 bills in their Valentine's from their grandparents and Thomas suggested we go to the movies. Great idea! What is playing. . .hmmmmmmmm????? And then there's the issue of school work. . .two of my classes are online. . .with a research paper in one that says "Google and write three pages from your point of view". Sigh. AND what about e-mail? Facebook? I missed Company Coffee again this week!!! And then there's that entire list of people over on my sidebar that I care about in a crazy way. Is it crazy? At least I admit that my "friends" are online I guess. I have plenty of real-life friends too. . .the internet is just so far-reaching and I LOVE it!!! Oh, and last night I needed some dinner ideas. . .I actually had open a magazine and find one --LOL :)

To top it all off, the only place for internet access is at my local university -- that shut down yesterday due to weather!!! Not that I could drag 4 kids there anyway so I can check in with Kristen or Kelly & Harper or Lalya & Kevin (and they just redid "my" dining room table!!). . .there's Mel too but I do know her IRL so we just texted the day away :)


So. . .today. . .internet still down but yesterday Tom finally took pity on me (or my schoolwork quandry) and showed me a place in our house that I can sit with my laptop and piggyback on an unsecure network around here. It's limiting -- no banking or anything -- but at least I am not stressed about school work and I DO feel better knowing what's going on in the world. . .the internet is my connection!!! And I really am trying to limit it so as not to slow down their service. . .can that happen??

Could you function a week without internet service???? Or would you rather not find out??

~ Jenni

Comments

  1. Really rather not! But I am sure my house would be much cleaner. At least I have internet at work :)

    Love you! Mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment