Skip to main content

An interview with the kids

Thomas BEGGED to do "homeschool" the other day. They had been out of school for over two weeks and. . .I know, I know. . .they all LOVE school. I love that they love school so it's not a problem. I don't homeschool -- the reasons too numerous to name -- but we come from the North where a few inches of snow doesn't cause alarm (possibly a delay) but here if the wind blows too hard school is closed. This drives me NUTS so when school is out, they still have school, just here at home. And in the summer too. Yes, I know, BAD MOMMY, but really they like it. Hey! They were ASKING for it over Christmas Break :) So I typed up these questions and printed them out for them to answer individually. . .I got the idea from here, who got it from here, who got it from here. You get the idea.

What is something Mom always says to you?
T-Rise & shine in the morning; M1 - I love you; M2 - I love you too; F-Frederick!
What makes Mom happy?
T-kiss her; M1 - kisses; M2 - give mom kisses; F-kiss and hugs (Boy, they DO know me!!!)
What makes Mom sad?
T-not following the rules (yep!); M1 - When Mom and Dad fight (huh?); M2 - step on her foot (???? That's just a FUNNY answer!); F - not giving Mom kiss (my 6-yr-old sweetie!)
How does your mom make you laugh?
T - make a joke; M1 - tickle us; M2 - tickle you; F - When I act funny (I think he read the question wrong)
What was your mom like as a child?
T-made good grades; M1-get good grades; M2-tomboy (NOT!); F-getting good grades -- they aren't too far off. . .glad the question wasn't "as a teenager" :)
How old is your mom?
This one isn't fair -- one asked out loud and Thomas said matter-of-factly, "37". He's right and they all copied him. Because in their eyes, he's always right and they, for the most part, do and die by him. He's 11.
How tall is your mom?
T-5 ft. 3 in; M1- 5.3; M2-61.26; F-6 (Thomas is right and so is Marie, in her 3rd-grade way)
What is her favorite thing to do?
T-relax somewhere really warm at the beach (YES!); M1- cuddle with us (that too!); M2- sleep (yep, on the top-10 list); F-playing with her kids (right on!)
What does your mom do when you're not around?
T-go shopping; M1- go on the computer and read a book; M2-clean and sleep; F-read a book
If your mom is on TV for something, what will it be for? This one kind of stumped them b/c they have never heard of and/or seen reality tv. . .remember, nothing but PBS around here!
T-The best employee of the year at the YMCA; M1-being the best tennis player; M2-playing tennis; F-telling a story
What is your mom really good at?
T-making food; M1, M2, & F-tennis
What is your mom not very good at?
These made me laugh. . .T-snow skiing; M1-swimming; M2-golf; F-baseball. . .I've never tried two of these and the other two I just don't enjoy. . .ha!
What is your mom's favorite food?
T-Mexican; M1-Mammaw's meatloaf (yes!); M2 - apples; F-vegetables
What makes you proud of your mom?
They all confused this question with "what makes your mom proud of YOU?" Oh well, I like their answers anyway. . .
T-making A-honor roll; M1-when we make a goal; M2-she gives us kisses; F-playing fair
If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
T-the mother on the show "Alf" (apparently they watch this each day between car riders and bus riders being called. . .I remember my {younger} brother loved the show); M1- Tweety's owner; M2-didn't answer; F-a girl (guess that's better then being a dog. . .)
What do you and your mom do together?
T-roller skating; M1-shop; M2-refused to answer b/c I haven't crafted with her ALL WEEK so she couldn't write it down b/c we apparently, after one week, "never" do it anymore; F-do a game
How are you and your mom the same?
T-We both have blue eyes; M1-we hate cleaning; M2-again, we are in no way the same. . .what is this 7-yr-old going to be like as a 17-yr-old?!?; F-same color hair
How are you and your mom different?
T-I am a boy and she is a girl; M1-I have blond hair; M2-she has glasses and I don't; F-not the same color eyes
How do you know your mom loves you?
T-because she gives me kisses every day (are 5th graders supposed to admit this??); M1-she kisses us; M2-give us kisses; F-because I am her kid. Mr. Matter-of-Fact
Where is your mom's favorite place to go?
T-to the beach; M1 & M2 - to Florida; F-go shopping
Wow, do my kids know me or what??!!
What does your mom do for a job?
T-works at the YMCA; M1- takes care of the kids in the YMCA; M2-YMCA; F-YMCA
And what's funny about this answer is although correct, I think it's how I least identify myself. Refer to the post I wrote on my roles. Huh.

It was interesting seeing myself through their eyes. I got a chance to see what is important to them and since they were trying to please me with this assignment it is also interesting to see what they think is important to me. I also see how short-sighted they are and they will put the most recent endeavor down or whatever comes to mind first, rather than thinking some things through. . .an example is "what is your mom's favorite food?" They confuse "often" with "favorite". At least no one put down salmon :) Also, they took some of the questions very literally. I like looking at these little "quirks" and seeing them as just that. I wonder if their dad could answer these questions as well as they did???
I did print up the worksheets again, replacing "mom" with "dad" -- next snow day he'll have a little awakening :)
If you do this with your own brood, link it in the comments please! It sure is eye-opening. . .

Comments