Skip to main content

Season of Simplicity

Is it bad that today I asked my kids if we could skip trimming the tree??? The tree is up and it is beautiful. Thomas helped me put all the lights on, winding them around each branch. . .they sparkle and make me happy. Marie *really* wants the tree topper up -- I can do that. But get the ornaments out?? I can't even think about it. We have an awesome village to put out and they all seem to care more about that. The nativity set is up -- that is important to all of us. We are doing our Advent devotionals. It's more important to me that the meaning of the season is exalted and I think the kids have that down.

We won't be home for Christmas. No one is coming over to celebrate this year. We have lights outside to enjoy and various decorations that I have made and a few we've gotten out. . .but. . .with reading everyone else's blogs, what they're doing, how festive they are, I'm feeling a little like Scrooge. But I also want to concentrate on these fun family baskets. And getting an ABC album done for my kids. And making memories in the kitchen rather than around the tree. Is that wrong? Am I going to scar them by not going full-out? So, right now, as of Friday night, December 4th, 2009 we are NOT going to trim the tree this year. I *might* purchase a big thing of balls and tie some ribbon on -- but only if we have time and don't kill ourselves to do it. I am NOT about stressing myself out. . .and think that can happen too easily this time of the year.

The best things in life aren't things.

Comments