Skip to main content

Festive Front Door

Last year I used a fresh wreath on my door so I didn't have anything to pull out of storage this year. My mother-in-law and I went shopping to buy a wreath but every wreath that I liked (that I could use year after year) was EXPENSIVE. My husband's cousin, Debbie, had inspired me at Thanksgiving this year -- she makes her own wreaths (she is an artist) and after she told me what she did I thought "I can do that". Between this can-do attitude from Debbie, MUCH (general) inspiration from Thrifty Decor Chick, and my mother-in-law's can-do supportiveness I bought some supplies and got to work!!!I started with a $5 grapevine wreath from Hobby Lobby and some flower picks, I think they were $3.99/each, 50% off, some wire cutters, hot glue gun, and some wire.
I also had Margaret hanging around to help.Not too bad, huh? I thought it was a little "plain" and my MIL said that it still needed "something" and I had to agree. I headed back to Hobby Lobby and bought one large seasonal flower-pick thing. . .it was a little more than the $3.99 I spent previously but I was in too deep to stop now! It had some pine cones, greenery, and grapes in it. It was not what I envisioned but I like it!! (I was thinking sparkly flowers and maybe a bird. . .) I think it looks nice and sort of goes with the "earthy" theme I have going this year. And a view looking up from the bottom of our porch steps. . .
It's so windy here that every time I try to secure the greenery around the door it blows off. . .it is wrapped in white lights and looks very pretty at night. Marie and my father-in-law strung lights outside over Thanksgiving so we are lit up at night!! White lights on the house and tree inside (that you can see through the front window) and colored lights for the kiddies on the bushes. Growing up we NEVER had lights outside so that is one thing that I have pretty much insisted on since we've had our own place. . .I think it's great to go down the street and see all the houses with lights out :)

This might be it for my outside decorating this year. The kids found a Rudolph with a light-up nose in the garage and stuck it outside with the other lights. . .I love that they are old enough now to not only have an opinion about the decorating but jump in and do their own thing too!!!

P.S. Looking at the last picture. . .I can't *wait* to paint my front door. It just looks so stark next to the warmer tone of the siding. And hoping to get new hardware for it this year too. . .time to start the resolutions list NOW -ha!


http://asoftplace.net/2009/12/diy-day-with-studio-jru/

Comments

  1. your wreath looks great! I have a to do list a mile long!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I can still see a sparkly bird on there too, but I like it before too with just the berries. great for year round that way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment