Skip to main content

Friday Favorites - 07.07.23

 

Poor girl, this is NOT a favorite -- and it wasn't because of fireworks but because of thunderstorms.  The older she gets, the more anxious she is with them. . .she never comes into our bathroom to be with us unless she's upset :(. Fireworks though??  Not much of a problem (as long as she is inside the house).


Here we go. . .it's Friday and I am linking up two weeks in a row!! I don't feel I have that much to share, but I'm going to try.  Please join in by grabbing the graphic and linking up with Andrea and Erika.  If you don't have a blog, feel free to comment with your Friday Favorites and head over to our host blogs to see what others are talking about this July Friday.

One of my FAVORITE safety managers ever retired yesterday.  He works for the company my husband works for and one that I have worked for (twice) in the past.  I was so, so glad to be included in his celebration:
When I first started at the company in August 2019 his cubicle was right next to mine.  Although we didn't work in the same department, we worked for the same group, Corporate Services.  Over time we became close, him even bringing his brand-new custom Fiat to work and then allowing me to drive it back from lunch one day!!  He said his son is the only other person he allowed to drive the car :)
He is a super special guy and will be missed by all the folks at Mesa Associates, for sure.  I got to catch up with a lot of former coworkers too, which was super nice too.  

My new haircut.  It's a little thing, but fun to have something new (and someone style it for me also!)
I finally finished a book this week - among the half dozen I have started.  I got the recommendation from Mix and Match Mama's monthly book post -- the comments are always rich with suggestions.  
The comments in Shay's post said that the audio version is fantastic so I ordered both from my library.  The audio version came through as I was finishing the Kindle version so I can't attest to one being better than the other but definitely recommend this book.  It's not "summer-y" and it is about a terrorist attack on a plane so keep that in mind.  It was written by a former flight attendant so there is a lot of "extra" detail about their jobs and a pilot's job in a crisis.  
I've mentioned that I have "a lot" of books that I am currently reading. . .well, reading or on my digital shelf at the library. . .and this list doesn't count the "real" books I have laying around the house!  I've struggled "getting into" books. . .I'm pretty invested in The Lincoln Highway right now and The Real Mrs. Tobias.  I bought the Book of Lost Friends twice and yet never get past the couple first chapters.  I believe I've also purchased the audio version of Beth Moore's book on audible -- I don't know if it's a "time" thing or what.  I got through Falling in less than a week, though, so it must be motivation -- ha!

I didn't get any pictures on the 4th of July, but we started the day on the pickleball courts - another FAVORITE - family time and I'm enjoying the game a bit.  Then had people over for Tommy's birthday - I just looked and I didn't even have a picture of our spread - jalapeno poppers, grilled shrimp, burger sliders, corn salsa, fruit, and a fantastic German Chocolate Cake.  Not even a picture of the cake!!!! BIG fail.
We got the doggie out once it cooled off and then finished up Hometown Makeover.  I can put that as a FAVORITE too -- we've watched and enjoyed both seasons.
We could hear lots of fireworks that night and my daughter sent this picture from her perch downtown:
She sent a video too and I told her the next day that her video was the only "show" we saw this year.  Since Tom and I were both working Wednesday we didn't make plans to go anywhere or really do anything for the holiday, except "Saturday" stuff like we did.

And I know this is a crazy FAVORITE, but it's my workload - I love that I have a full list and it's only July 7th!!!  Interesting that I started and ended with work (I didn't plan that) but it's something I've always enjoyed and right now I'm in a good place, both the company AND the hours (20-25 hrs/wk).  I work at an accounting firm with a financial arm as their Director of Training and Development.  We have less than 50 employees but are growing, despite efforts to "slow down" -- I guess it's hard to say "no" when people hear of your services and want you to help them too!!  I'm trying to be intentional with my time and only have one page of my notebook open and on display and working through at a time.  Here was my set-up this week as I was recording a live training:  
I mentioned before that the firm "put me in a corner" when they ran out of cubical space -- this table is technically "common area" but now that my desk is right behind it no one really comes back there unless it's to see me.  This table kind of gives me a standing desk AND extra space when people visit :). 

That's it - a kinda boring but VERY rich life.  Monday night I told my husband that I like these summer weekends because the kids just come and go all weekend long. . .they all live downtown, which is about 20 minutes away, so it's great that they drive out here to see their grandparents, grab a meal, or do some laundry.  
Not much is on the schedule for this weekend either -- I do have a project in my head for today and tomorrow and I think we're heading to the lake on Sunday.  A week from now we will be heading out of town for one of my best friend's son's wedding!!!  I'm so excited for her family and to get to see them all :)

Have a great weekend - let me know what you're up to in the comments!

Jenni













Comments

  1. I love your haircut! I need to cut my hair, but I have been seeing how long I can handle it. I know I will feel better with a cut. Retirements are always bittersweet. Sounds like you have a good work/life balance right now. That's amazing! I have Mrs. Tobias but Soulmate also just came in for me from the library! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting my haircut is such a CHORE - and the person I have used for years retired and moved so this is the second new person I have tried. I liked her and the style she gave me so that is good. My daughter does the color so I don't have to visit the salon too often. A friend of mine who has hair about as long as yours chopped hers off this week (about the same as mine now) and sent me a picture - it looks great! And I would imagine, so much cooler. Anyway, thanks for stopping by - I have had Soulmate on my bookshelf (real book) since it was released. . .I *need* to get around to reading more I guess :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your haircut and all the faves from the week. I just finished that author's second book "Drowning," and liked it even more than "Falling." Put it on your list, for sure! I couldn't stop listening to the audio! Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a before picture to compare to, but your hair looks great. I wish I loved a haircut, but I usually hate it for the first few weeks. My hair is long and curly, so any inches taken off feels like I have to learn to style it all over again. Isn't that ridiculous? It's so great that you love your job! I always feel like it's a blessing to be able to say that. I'm not working anymore right now, but I just finished full time work late in May at a local elementary school. It was a temporary job, and it phased out at the end of May, and as of right now, I have no plans to return. I have had a lot of change in my family recently- aging parents, a sister who died, another sister who poor mental health- so it's best for me to stay at home and be a wife and dog mom again, since our sons are all grown. I said all of that to say that I loved the job while it lasted. I felt so fortunate to have it, and was treated excellently the entire time I was there. I'm going to check out Falling now...thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment