Skip to main content

Friday Favorites 3.18.22 - Ohio & Florida travels

It's time for Friday Favorites with Andrea and Erika -- two of my FAVORITE mom bloggers!  They got back to school and work this week as MY kids all started their spring breaks. . .and then I have friends who still have to wait until April for theirs -- wow.  

I'm not sure this is really a FAVORITE, but worth mentioning since it's a big part of who I am right now.  I was pondering this week that I've been "not working" for almost six months now. . .and I've really settled in.  Most people who know me can't believe it, but I've kind of figured out how to slow down and not be quite so intense.  And with all the kids gone on to live their own lives I really have to look for ways to fill my days.  This time has afforded me a lot of flexibility to "drop everything" and help someone out, travel (I've been to Cincinnati numerous times, South Carolina twice, and am in Florida now), and do a lot of projects at my house.  I do jump at the chance to do something, though, so when my long-time friend Amy called last week and said, "Jen, I have a lot of projects on my list -- do you want to come down here (Florida) and help out?" I literally booked a ticket within the hour.  So. . .time off has afforded me three FAVORITES this coming week:  Amy, Florida, projects

My view right this second.  Let me name the FAVORITES. . .water, quiet, the humidity in the air, a change of pace, being in a house where every person who walks in the door feels welcome, comfortable and loved.  The family I am with is one of every person's FAVORITES.  They know it, are humble about it, and want to share what they have with everyone.  They worked hard, he served our country for 20 years in the USAF, and she realized her dream of one day living here.  They serve the Lord well, love their friends well, and protect and guide their family well.  It's easy for me to count my blessings -- the fact that I can call Amy "my sister in Christ" and have this friendship is extraordinary.
By the time I finished this post the sun had come out to give me an extra dose of "happy" :)

Speaking of projects, I'm still working on this kitchen floor!  
My supplies and the finished product.
It's a lot of work, but worth it. . .yes, I started before the sun was up/out the other morning and then the rain went away -- that's why the lighting contrast in pictures.  But that grout (dirty and white) is REAL.  The Bissell Steamshot is a FAVORITE
A FAVORITE new-to-me podcast that I listened to during this project was The Lazy Genius.  Check Kendra out if you are looking for something new to listen to!

This girl is a FAVORITE!!  In this "time off" I've been afforded I've gotten to see her three times -- I spent a week with her in September, then was in South Carolina with her for my birthday, now this last weekend Tom and I went to Cincinnati to see her in her final high s
chool production of 42nd Street.  It was a really good show and all the kids did a great job.  I asked her how many costume changes she had and she said "a lot" -- really, I wish I would have counted.  A dozen maybe?  
We took these pictures last weekend to "tease" our kids.  While they were out on their adventures (DC/Philly/NYC, Myrtle Beach, Pensacola, and Big Bend) we were in cold, snowy Ohio.  BUT, these are two of everyone's FAVORITE places so we had to let them know we were stopping by each.  This was 2:15 in the afternoon on Saturday at Bill's Donuts -- the line started right inside the door there and this was the inside:  
after we got down the hallway.  When we left the line was out the door -- I'm not sure if I would have waited in the cold and wind. . .but maybe?  Mom got her dozen donut holes, I got cookies for Bible Study the following night, and when Robert saw the picture he texted that he was on his way home from his NE tour and could we please bring him some too???
The other place is North China (both of these are in Centerville, Ohio).  I know my picture looks very desolate, but it was 3 in the afternoon on a very cold Saturday -- not a prime time to be filling the restaurants.  This has always been our go-to over the years after the Christmas program at a nearby church.  My mom loved treating all of us (all the kids/grandkids) to dinner there after the service but because of Covid, it hasn't happened the past two years.  We picked meals up for the three of us, though, and took them back to her place.
This is my mom with our kids at North China December 23, 2019.  Who would have thought that that would be our last meal together in that restaurant at the time???  We are a family that loves tradition.

Another reason we were in Ohio was to visit this wonderful man and his family.  He was a "second dad" to Tom growing up and his daughters are "sisters" to Tom and his sister.  On his 87th birthday last year he wasn't feeling well and they did some tests -- cancer.  Such a horrible disease that has taken so many that we love.  He looks good here and we really enjoyed our visit with him. . .but there is pain and weariness beneath that smile.  His oldest daughter is such an example of "caregiver" and does everything for him, with support from her family.  His other daughter was able to pick up her life out west and bring it all to Dayton, Ohio (including her dog!) so she can spend this time with him too.  He is a man that is well-loved because he has loved well.  
We got to vacation with them last summer at Lake Cumberland and here he is with his family, minus one grandson.  Such a lucky many who has lived a rich, full life and who knows the Lord and is confident of "what is next". 
Leo and his best friends that raised families together for 50 years.  His beloved wife died several years ago so there has been "one missing" in this group since.
"The Kids"
Two by blood, two in his heart.  These four grew up vacationing here together.  I treasure pictures because they remind us of who we are, where we came from, and the time the Lord has given us to be together.  It's easy to take things for granted in the day-to-day. . .and yet there are so many blessings in those moments that we can't capture so when I think of it, I try to capture it in pictures and words. 

I blogged about our Gatlinburg day trip on Tuesday -- check it out if you missed it.  

That's it for this week. . .I will be reading other "Friday Favorite" blogs and if you don't blog, feel free to leave your favorites in the comments :)

Love,
Jenni







Comments