Skip to main content

December 2021 Goals

I am a goal-oriented person.  Always have been.  I am motivated by a challenge and need to see things written down.  I know goals sometimes intimidate people or make them uncomfortable -- we're all wired differently!!  The key, I believe, is (1) not to make too many in the time period (2) aim a little lower than you think you can achieve (3) make them measurable (the M in "S.M.A.R.T." - so important) and (4) write them down!!  Dreams are good, too, just not as well-defined :)  I don't think dreams have timelines either. . .so, there's that.

When people list their goals/challenges, it motivates ME!  Years ago, Mix and Match Mama would write down her monthly goals, take a picture, and then report back at the end of the month.  One of those goals, reading books, became a habit and now, years later, is one of the most-anticipated posts (for me) that she writes each month!!  I have always, always kept checklists -- yes, I like checking things off, but more so I can SEE what I've achieved and see where I'm going next.  Here is what my current list looks like:


I have found, for me, that my days can go by aimlessly if I don't make a plan.  Anyone who knows me personally knows that I like to always be "on the go", have a project (or 4) going, and cannot "relax" unless it's in the sunshine on the beach or on the boat with a book :)

Choosing to not have a job outside the home at this stage in life is a surprising one, I know.  I don't know what the next weeks, months. or years look like in that regard, but for now, this is a choice Tom and I have made together.  I didn't realize it would be harder without kids at home, but here we are.  It's a choice I'm as uncomfortable with as I am with this stage of life -- I am so incredibly fortunate to not be on this journey alone though.

So, with that said, I've been thinking about my goals for December and here is what I've come up with:

Finish our entryway I've started on the molding and the door hardware has already been switched out.  The molding needs to be finished, the door done, the hinges changed out, new light fixture, and switches/outlets be changed out.  I have everything I need except the hinges and light fixture. . .and am dependent on Tom & Fred for the electrical parts :/

Garage space.  I'm not going to post a "before" picture (yet), but I need to clear out a space in the garage to do some furniture projects this winter.  I have a list I'm itching to start on but need a place (we've let the second bay get overrun with "stuff")

CHRISTMAS CARDS - we got our first one yesterday.  I have been doing them forever and keep track in this same address book it looks like since 2003:

I failed to do them last year for many (not good) reasons. . .they are so important to me.  I wish more people sent them -- I really enjoy seeing how families grow and change, or just the note inside a drug store card, knowing that our family was thought of by another.  A friend had the idea of sending a favorite family recipe with their cards so we can all try new things next year -- I'm going to try to do that!  I truly love the letters and notes that people take the time to write -- with so many "off" social media now it's hard to keep up so these yearly checkins are great :)
If you would like a card from me or want to send me one, e-mail me (link in the sidebar) or message me through Facebook and I'll make it happen!

I'm going to leave it at that --  not very ambitious (by my standards) but also factoring in the amount of time I'll be out of town, the holidays, etc.  And this is all in addition to "life" -- ha!  As I approach that mid-century of life point I am realizing that it's important to keep the "why" (Simon Sinek) in check.

If you have any December goals you would like to be accountable for, leave them in the comments or on the Facebook post I'll link this to -- join me in this journey!!

Happy First Day of December,
Jenni








Comments