Skip to main content

Fall Break

Today was Day 1 (or Day 3 if weekends count) of our county's Fall Break.  I love our schedule. . .going back in July is *just fine* with me in order to get these first two weeks of October off!  I think we were all ready for a break and then when we get back time will FLY since the holidays will be upon us :)

Where to start?  Do I go back a month and catch up or just jump in where we are at?  Here is a picture of our "Fall Break" list that has been posted on the board for about a month:














Every time in the last month when the kids have asked "can we do this-or-that?" I have told them to put it on the list -- ha!  We've already completed 2 items and painting my classroom is on the calendar. . .lots of my students have said that they will be showing up for that :)

Today was a rainy, yucky day.  The kids slept in (yea!) and were watching Clifford the Big Red Dog at 8 a.m.  Am I raising toddlers or teenagers???  Kinda brought back sweet memories of days gone by. . .and funny to see the kids glued to it. 

I've finished the series "Army Wives" that I have been watching on-and-off for about a year.  I really liked it.  Now I'm reading the book No Easy Day that lots of my students have been reading (I'm actually borrowing one of their copies!).  The kids found the book because of a story on CNN Student News.  Last week the executive producer of the show called me and left a message. . .that was really exciting for me.  I had e-mailed them telling the show how much I enjoy the program and use it almost every day in class. . .and they responded :)  So cool.  When I told the kids at school about it they thought it was neat too.  I sent her (the executive producer) a shot of my back white board in my classroom with our daily focused listening questions on it.
She responded favorably to the e-mail. . .so fun to have this back-and-forth in e-mail conversation!  She has an educator on staff. . .I asked her to keep me in mind if she ever has another opening :)

Other big, big news -- Marie's middle school soccer team won the division championship this weekend!!!
It was such an exciting thing!  Friday night Marie scored an incredible goal that just gave me tears -- it was that good.  Saturday, in the finals, she made the first goal for her team.  There were only 3 6th graders on the team this year and she not only started these last two very important games but contributed 3 TOTAL GOALS between Friday night and Saturday (she scored the 2nd goal on Saturday too).  The final score was 3-1 and very well-deserved for this team.  They had an awesome season.

Last weekend Marie was on another winning team. . .she and her younger brother played in the Kohl's Cup in Chattanooga in the U12 boys division.
They won :)  In fact, in the three tournament games, they were not scored on *once*!!!  Marie and Frederick both scored numerous times throughout the games.  I wasn't able to be there Sunday for the game but apparently Frederick made a goal that was so impressive that quite a few parents recalled it to me :)  In the above picture Marie has her arms around two of her favorite soccer players. . .one of which played WITH her in the Championship game this last Saturday and the other played AGAINST her.  Such is life in small town America.

I wish I had some Cheerleading pictures of Margaret. . .(I have some video but don't know how to load it). . .she is doing really well and her team will be competing for the first time at the end of this month.

Oh!  Here's a picture of Margaret. . .watching Netflix in my classroom on a Friday night :)
 
Thomas is #20. . .this is one of his state games over the last few weekends. 
The teams they have been playing have been really tough. . .they've tied, won, and last weekend had their first loss, against a top-seeded team.  We have three more state games to go before determining if the team will have a place at the state tournament finals.  We'll see :)

 Also, in catch-up news, here is one of my most favorite pictures the last few months. . .so much so that it is my banner pic on my Facebook page!
This is my dad, me, my sister, and my brother at the end of August on our annual lake trip.  It was a wonderful day. . .wonderful memories. . .and a few wonderful pictures too.

This has to be enough of catch-up for me for now.  There's still Frederick's birthday, Frederick's party, and many, many more soccer pictures of course :)  Tomorrow we're hitting the YMCA for another workout (I hope!) and the library. . .and maybe out to lunch with the kids and Tom. . .exciting, exciting times around here.  Thomas was likening this week to homeschooling again.  More like relaxing to me. . .which is just what we need. . .and don't worry Mom, I'll get some blogging in too.

Love,
Jenni


Comments