Skip to main content

An Empty Nest

They are officially all gone.  For a week.  Wow.  It hasn't been 24 hours since we dropped the last three at camp yesterday so I'm still o.k.

Friday night we drove to Knoxville and got a hotel room so when the VJ's (my sister & her family) drove through sometime after midnight from their vacation in South Carolina to their home in Ohio we would be there to unload Frederick onto them.
I let him fall asleep on my side of the bed until he was picked up. . .everyone was exhausted by the time we checked in about 11 p.m. so it was easy getting them all down to sleep.  I just sat in the lobby and read my book.  VJs flew through just before 2 a.m.

And then there were three.

We spent a nice day together.  First lunch at Calhoun's on the River:

They are taking a bridge down and we even heard a blast during lunch. . .the kids thought that was exciting.
When Marie didn't want the rest of her meal, the server suggested they take the french fries over to the ducks and fish -- they *loved* this!!!
They couldn't get over how BIG the fish were!
As a side note, I did *not* get up from the table to take these pics -- the older two took my camera and did a pretty good job with it :)

After lunch we visited the American Museum of Science & Energy.
We all had a really good time.  I was absolutely fascinated with this history:
And I love, how in these types of museums, they have information everywhere -- even in the bathroom!!!
And TONS of hands-on stuff for the kids to do:

 Margaret had to balance 14 nails on the head of one.  Pretty good, huh?


We went to an "atom" show and Margaret was called up on stage for a demonstration:
 And then Thomas was pulled out of the audience to show charged energy flow:

Fun.  We will definitely have to take the grandparents to this museum sometime. . .I learned so much about the "Hidden City" and the kids just had fun with all the hands-on science stuff.  A great day all the way around!

It took Thomas about an hour to build this





And then Sunday rolled around.  We went to church. . .out to eat. . .ran to the drugstore for some bug spray and sunscreen for camp. . .threw a few "last minute" things into camp bags. . .
And then we were off!  (Hate seeing Frederick's empty seat there. . .holding library books to take back. . .)

This is the girls' first year here as campers, but Thomas's fifth year!


 Setting up.  Marie didn't even climb down to say good-bye.
 Oh, yea, she was ready to go.  Their bunks are across the room from one another -- there were only two beds left when we got there!  They have three counselors with them this week.
Thomas and his cousin, Patrick.  It was *hot* out. . .wondering how long Patrick lasted in those jeans seeing as nothing is air-conditioned and their camp counselors said they were in the hottest cabin!!!

I came home to this on the board:
I asked all the kids to write a note or draw a picture. . .and then I added all the counselors' names on the board so I will remember to pray for them by name this week too.
Tom and I had made up a project list. . .ideas of ways to fill our time. . .but now he's out of town today and it looks like it will be a busy week for him at work so I guess it will be an empty sort of week :(  I have BIG plans to really deep-clean the house though!

And no, as of right now, 12:30 Monday afternoon, I haven't heard anything about the job.  Of course I don't expect to get the job I interviewed for. . .but. . .I would love the opportunity all the same!!!!  Hope always lives on in me. . .:)
ETA:  The principal called a little after 2. . ."we offered the position to someone else but there is an opening for {fill-in-the-blank}. . .would you like to be considered for that?"  Sure. . .why not?  School starts in two weeks here anyway so it won't be a long wait to see if we'll be homeschooling again or going this route. . .I did tell the principal that the interview last week made me realize where I want my career to go in the future. . .I think that's the first time I've really admitted that to myself too.  God's in complete control of all of it.  Even considering a lifestyle change this weekend made me a little nervous. . .I really am in love with the life we lead right now!
~ Jenni


Comments